PDA

View Full Version : Flow Question

ScubaPrawn
08/10/2010, 08:50 AM
I have a 47g column tank that is about 30 inches tall. I have only one powerhead, a Koralia 1 (440gph) in the tank. I also have an Aquaclear 110 as the filter to help with flow.

I definitely need more flow especially near the bottom of the tank. I'm battling cyano and when I feel the flow from the K1 with my hand, it doesn't feel like nearly enough power to keep the water circulating well. Should I get a K2 (600gph) or K3 (850gph)? Or should I get another K1 because either of the other two would be too much direct force?

I'm confused because there seems to be a lot of material out there that says you need 3-5 times the gallons in your tank, which doesn't seem like it would be near enough for even a normal tank.

Daimyo68
08/10/2010, 10:47 AM
As you read, there's tons of different ideas/calculations for flow.

What I would do is get 2 K2's and face them towards each other and the center front glass, near the bottom of the tank, this way they cause turbulence and flow to help battle the cyano, and keep things stirred up around the rocks. Use your K1 (or buy another K2) to use that the surface for agitation.

cdeboard
08/10/2010, 12:57 PM
3-5x is the recommended turnover through the sump. You need roughly 30x or more in the display even for just softies. I agree with the 2 k2's and face them towards each other.