PDA

View Full Version : gluing acrylic

larrydavis
08/10/2010, 09:52 AM
just added a baffle in my sump and need some glue.is there any glue that i can find at lowes or home depot

chuckdallas
08/10/2010, 10:04 AM
Good question. I need the same thing. Interested in the responses. On a similar thread, what's the best glue if I want to glue a piece of see-through rubber (or plastic) tubing to a piece of PVC pipe, where the rubber is inside the PVC pipe. It's on the return side just above the return pump in the sump. I found a form of Goop glue (Plumbers GOOP---purple squeeze tube) in the paint Section of Home Depot that says it's for PVC and ceramic and 2-3 other things. Works good for an airtight seal on PVC, but don't know about attaching acrylic to acrylic.

James404
08/10/2010, 10:47 AM
The ideal glue for acrylic to acrylic would be some weld-on which is specifically made for acrylic. I am by far no expert on that glue and I know there is different forms of it. Myself I stupidly dropped my overflow box once and broke it, I ended up using crazy glue and it did the job. I added some pvc cement after that just to be safe but I dont think that was totally necessary. It has held up fine to this day.

Ky1duck
08/10/2010, 11:31 AM
his is the stuff i used on my refugec and be seen here

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1888349

did a test glue and the acrylic broke befor the glue joint. found it at a local supply house for busnesses.

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Adhesives?gclid=CPm83dC3r6MCFQxW2god8lN14w

hope this helps

RokleM
08/11/2010, 10:00 AM
Acrylic baffle to what?

Glass, there isn't an easy perfect solution out there. Most use a mold inhibitor free silicone and literally goop it into place. Silicone does not bond properly to acrylic, so you have to use it pretty heavily.

Acrylic sump, then that's a whole other matter. The material should be cut properly, the edges routed, and if the sump walls are already completed it's a somewhat complex task to then add a baffle.