PDA

View Full Version : Helppppppppppppp

con999
08/10/2010, 10:25 AM
ok iv had this dracula goby for a week now... i got a pistol shrimp a few days ago though the mail. the goby was eating just fine coming out of his burrow in a cave so sometimes he dident see the food. now that the shrimp is here he baried the cave now theirs just one lttle whole that the shrimp cant even fit though in the back.i can not they try to get food but they cant get out and i soon a i un dig the cave the shrimp burries it again. the shrimp has never eatin in my tank the goby hasent for about four days and you can tell he was a little fat when i got him but now hes a little too skinny.

SO HOW CAN I GET THEM TO MOVE OR EAT BEFOR 100 DOLLERS WORTH OF FISH DIE

Dave VG
08/10/2010, 10:28 AM
Man thats a tough one. I have never had any experience but hopfully someone will pop in that has. Good luck man

lcs
08/10/2010, 10:58 AM
Cut up some fresh shrimp and/or clam, spear the pieces and see if you can put them right into the hole. I would think the shrimp would continue to dig until there are multiple openings. Do you have moderately sized pieces of shell or rock - say "1-1.5? The shrimp will use these to help shore up the burrow, maybe it's caving in on them.

Good luck!

Sugar Magnolia
08/10/2010, 11:12 AM
I would think the shrimp would continue to dig until there are multiple openings. Do you have moderately sized pieces of shell or rock - say "1-1.5? The shrimp will use these to help shore up the burrow, maybe it's caving in on them.

This is what my pistol does. It has several openings under thier rock where the burrow is. It uses rubble and empty shells, and bits of a plastic Tunze holder to shore up the entrance.

Example:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/stanton4/misc240.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The goby is perfectly capable of digging it's way out. It's really not uncommon for shrimp gobies to go missing for periods of time. The longest time I went without seeing one of mine was three weeks.

con999
08/10/2010, 12:02 PM
ok so im not goinging to mess with their hole for a litle bit but what about the food still im only 14 so i cant adforred to go all out on every thing so could i just stick a pice frozen food in their hole so te can he it... also is theri anyway of getting them to move cuz i cant relly see them at all and i spent a lot on them

Sugar Magnolia
08/10/2010, 12:15 PM
How big of a tank do you have them in?

Yes, you can place some food near where their burrow is and they will find it. Thaw the food out first.

GhostCon1
08/10/2010, 12:36 PM
I don't think they will just barricade themselves in, which sounds like what you believe to be happening. Go with Sugar's advice :)

Also,
so could i just stick a pice frozen food in their hole so te can he it

I haven't a clue what it is you are trying to ask... say... question?

lcs
08/10/2010, 12:37 PM
You could use frozen, but the next time someone is at the supermarket have them pick up a fresh shrimp, cut it up really small, and put the pieces as close to, if not actually in, their hole. Like Sugar said, they will find it.

You're right in leaving their hole alone. They might have a more difficult time settling down if their home is being messed with.

serval
08/10/2010, 12:59 PM
Definitely leave them alone, aside from the target feeding attempts already suggested. I have a Dracula goby that hid in the shrimp hole for over a month before I finally saw him at all! He comes out regularly now; he just needed a lot of time to get comfortable. He even shares the shrimp and the burrow with a Randall's goby, another species.

con999
08/10/2010, 01:33 PM
I don't think they will just barricade themselves in, which sounds like what you believe to be happening. Go with Sugar's advice :)

Also,

I haven't a clue what it is you are trying to ask... say... question?

sorry i was typing fast i had to leave

con999
08/10/2010, 01:36 PM
thanks every one for your help. the gobie was all comfortable cuz he was all out and swiming out of his cave for a little bit.:fish1: ill see if they take to food in a little bit ins in a low flow area so the food wont blow away. ill keep updating if soming changes with them.:bounce3:

:wave:

con999
08/10/2010, 01:41 PM
How big of a tank do you have them in?

Yes, you can place some food near where their burrow is and they will find it. Thaw the food out first.

their in a 26 gallon. and the shrimp is a tiger pistol shrimp. i just hope they dont make the rock fall and smash all my corals and glass.:eek1:

con999
08/10/2010, 06:39 PM
ummmm i jsut found the shrimp... it was dead everything good in tank just got them tested

zygote2k
08/10/2010, 06:43 PM
ok so im not goinging to mess with their hole for a litle bit but what about the food still im only 14 so i cant adforred to go all out on every thing so could i just stick a pice frozen food in their hole so te can he it... also is theri anyway of getting them to move cuz i cant relly see them at all and i spent a lot on them
You can't afford to go all out on food but you spent $100 on a fish and shrimp? Hmmm.....:hmm6:

GhostCon1
08/10/2010, 07:58 PM
ummmm i jsut found the shrimp... it was dead everything good in tank just got them tested

Are you sure it was the shrimp itself and not the molt?

con999
08/10/2010, 09:20 PM
yes i was he just molted the day after i got him and iv had other shrimps before. so i no what a molt looks like. idk what happend i started a new thread heres the link http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1890040

con999
08/11/2010, 11:04 AM
bump

Paco
08/11/2010, 11:15 AM
http://www.tshirtbordello.com/images/bad-spellers-untie-lg.gif

I'm kidding, but only a little. I understand you are 14, but improving your written communication skills will make a world of difference in how successful you are in life. ReefCentral is a great place to start practicing.