PDA

View Full Version : World's Rarest Coral Discovered

serpentman
08/10/2010, 10:59 AM
I apologize if some posted this already. Dibbs on frags, lol

http://www.care2.com/causes/environment/blog/worlds-rarest-coral-discovered/

afernandez
08/10/2010, 12:11 PM
To tell u the truth dosent look very fancy or that rare ..it looks like a mix of a digitata and a monticap ...and I also think they should had just fraged a piece. Not take the whole colony out of the water. My personal opinion....but it's nice :)

stanlalee
08/10/2010, 12:23 PM
didn't know pacific elkhorn existed just thought it was a typical uninspiring atlantic coral. I did know they had been becoming MIA in the atlantic. I'm sure they fragged and tested a piece or two not having one been spotted in over 100yrs.

Floowid
08/10/2010, 12:23 PM
To tell u the truth dosent look very fancy or that rare ..it looks like a mix of a digitata and a monticap ...and I also think they should had just fraged a piece. Not take the whole colony out of the water. My personal opinion....but it's nice :)

It's rare because it is the only one they have found in a long time. It's rare because it is Pacific Elkhorn coral and is responsible for reef building on a grand scale. It could be brown and humdrum looking and still be rare. And I didn't read anywhere that anyone removed any of it from the ocean, much less a frag.

GhostCon1
08/10/2010, 12:30 PM
Look at these two comments:

Walter G. is right. Lots of people will think $, and aggressively pursue this coral, taking even the last piece so someone else doesn't get it. Hope the GPS coordinates of this coral are kept secret.

Now that the word is out, coral collectors will be seeking someone to harvest this coral. The thanks for divulging the existence of this rare coral, it will be harvested

I guess we do not have any ethics.