PDA

View Full Version : aquatraders odyssea t5 review

dublo8
08/10/2010, 03:03 PM
So, there I was looking to upgrade my lighting from a 2x65 coralife pc ficture to a 4 bulb ho t5 fixture. Just like everybody else I was looking to save a little cash. I already had another 4 bulb t5 fixture from sunlight supply but I wanted to try something a little different and move one fixture to another tank. So, I decided to check out aquatraders despite what other have said and the rumors floating around. I also looked into fishneedit.com as I have heard good things with them. i ended up going with aquatraders just because of price and the fact that it included 4 night time led's.

The build quality is pretty descent I would give it a 7 out of 10. Immedietly after unwrapping the bubble wrap from the fixtue I noticed that the housing is the exact same housing as my coralife fixture only flat black. literally exactly the same including the flip up mounting legs on off switches etc. no difference except this unit doesn't have any fans installed in the fan slots....but guess what. I have an extra pair of fans from my coralife fixture. guess what I'm gonna do later. lol

Now for the inside. I removed the splash guard to get to the bulbs and remove the bubble wrap surrounding them. the endcaps are not hard mounted to the chassis they are only plug in ends held by wires. the bulbs themselves are held in by metal clips. The reflectors are descent but nothing amazing. they are highly reflective but I doubt that they are of any significant quality. However the bulbs were easy to remove/put back in and the endcaps seem to contact well. The wiring on the inside of the chassis (yes I already took it apart) are roughly 8-10 gauge wire. pretty descent if you ask me. i also saw no signs of any stray wires or anything that could cause a fire as some people have reported from years ago (which was on the metal halide fixture i remind you)

Now for what everybody wants to know. how well does it light the tank? Very well indeed. I could immedietly see the difference in light over my PC lamps. The bulb are there own branded bulbs. 2 odyssea 12k and 2 460 actinics. Also 4 blue led's for night viewing which are cool since I didn't have any before but when i have to feed my acans, sun corals etc I had to use a flashlight and the coral didn't care for it. they do like the led's though. I dont have a par meter to measure but my built in eyeball sensors say there is definetly a difference over my 130watts of pc bulbs. I however will be replacing the bulbs here shortly to 2 blue+, 1 fiji purple and 1 actinic white.

I wrote this review to try and dispell some of the myths out there about this lighting company. I dont know of alot of people that have these lights but the people who do say they are junk probably dont own them and only read somewhere about the problems they have. I am not saying this is the best light out there or anything of that nature. However, for the money its a winner in my book. Like the old saying goes. if you please ten people only one person will say so, if you displease ten people 9 people will say so.

Happy reefing:fish1:

Almenmarine
08/19/2010, 10:03 PM
Thank you :)

patch2361
08/19/2010, 10:28 PM
Good to hear something positive about them. They picked up a pretty bad rap with their metal halides a few years back.

Almenmarine
08/19/2010, 10:43 PM
I'll be sure to do a review as well. I just bought a 36" t5 non halide as my tank is a 30 Long. We will see. Will replace bulbs with UVL however. Might post something later tonight to find the best mix of bulbs.

dublo8
08/20/2010, 12:07 PM
So a little update for you guys after a couple weeks of use. The lamps have finally burned in and look pretty darn good. i am still planning on switching them out in about 6 months to a different configuration in bulb colors. Everything is working as intended. I have everything on timers and have not had any problems at all. I totally agree they got a bad wrap back in the day but they have definetly redeemed themselves in my book. thanks for reading my review and happy reefing.

fishy888
09/12/2010, 10:17 PM
I have one of these coming Wednesday of this week. I am glad to see positive reviews as well. I will let everyone know how well they do.

fishy888
09/19/2010, 01:01 AM
Ok this lighting system rocks! They shipped it with 3 actinics and one daylight though. I love the blue look though. Especially with the zoa/soft/mushroom/nps reef I want to do. The lights are bright and crisp and the moonlighting is just amazing. The splashguard makes cleaning easy. The lighting system does not really get hot though it is a bit warm, but with a ballast and 216 watts in such a small package it ought to be a little warm. All in all 5 stars.

skh
09/19/2010, 06:47 PM
Anyone want to do some PAR measurements to see how these perform?

Maksimsf
09/19/2010, 11:22 PM
I bought mine 24" 130w PC Odyssea Aug 2, love it so far, but today I've noticed that actinic bulb got some weird "waves", so looks like I have to go for more reliable bulbs like Hamilton, but anyway.... 2 years ago I bought my Odyssea B28 tank....that fixture almost set my house on fire...So yeah quality is way better now.

cdeboard
09/20/2010, 11:17 AM
I have the 48" pro version with timer over a 90g.. I love it.. I did add an extra fan though to keep it cool.

NoobtoSalt
09/20/2010, 03:32 PM
I was looking at these lights awhile back (actually the ones with halides installed as well) and I decided to go with a Maristar setup instead. I am however looking at an additional light setup for another tank I'm starting up and seeing a few of you happy with these lights I might just take a look at them again!

Thanks for the positive comments. Good to see they aren't all junk..lol

dublo8
09/20/2010, 06:20 PM
I am extremely happy with my purchase and I couldn't believe it myself how descent they are for the price. I would agree with one of the above posters about the bulbs being funny. the actinics aren't so bad and actually do pretty well but the whites they claim to be 12k/14k but I don't think so. I think they are a little yellowish personally.I changed my bulbs out to blue+,fiji purple,aquablue and blue+ in that order from front to back. 1000x better than stock. good luck and I hope you enjoy the new fixture.

besides changing out the bulbs it's a great little setup. Most fixtures you buy anyways you will end up changing out the bulbs for something else, so why not. I know this put the price above and beyond what I initially payed for it but I made it the way I wanted it and that's good enough for me. I could have bought a $600 fixture and would have ended up changing out the bulbs no matter what. With a higher priced fixture I may have also gotten a little better reflector's and maybe a better ballast etc. but that is neglegable for the price to performance ratio I was aiming for.

I have another 4 bulb t5 fixture as well from sunlight supply and I can tell no difference between the two of them besides the odyssea fixture having a much better asthetic appeal.

dublo8
09/20/2010, 06:30 PM
Anyone want to do some PAR measurements to see how these perform?

If one of my reefers from my local club would come out to where I live at I will post PAR results up here. Sorry but nothing yet on par.

dublo8
09/20/2010, 06:30 PM
I bought mine 24" 130w PC Odyssea Aug 2, love it so far, but today I've noticed that actinic bulb got some weird "waves", so looks like I have to go for more reliable bulbs like Hamilton, but anyway.... 2 years ago I bought my Odyssea B28 tank....that fixture almost set my house on fire...So yeah quality is way better now.

Like I stated before. change out the bulbs and leave the stockers for a backup. :beer:

rad1687
03/01/2011, 03:32 PM
Are you able to turn off two bulbs at a time? Or are all of the bulbs on the same ballast?

cody6766
03/01/2011, 04:03 PM
You may want to double check that wire size. 8 awg wire is WAY bigger than I'd ever expect to see in anything inside a house. Hell, dryer cables don't even use 8awg wire ;) That's the cable size I use in my car off the distribution block for my amps.

Just wanted to mention that little bit. I'm glad you like the light though!