PDA

View Full Version : Dead Ethernet Module?

Paradiddle7
08/10/2010, 05:55 PM
Does anyone know if any of the lights turn on when you plug the AC adapter into the Ethernet module? It's been a while since I had mine hooked up and it got a bit of salt spray on it and I'm trying to diagnose if it's completely dead or not.

fmelindy
08/11/2010, 06:40 PM
I have the same problem and, yes, I think if it's still working a light should indicate that it's connected to power and also to the router when you plug in an ethernet cable. Let me know as well what you do with your situation if you discover it's dead - will you just buy a new one? Or is there some way to "fix" the one we have?

RobbyG
08/11/2010, 06:53 PM
A Light is on but it is very very Dim, you can't easily see it under normal light.

Paradiddle7
08/11/2010, 11:29 PM
Robby, is the power adapter for the ethernet the same as the one for the dosing pump? They look the same, but perhaps I swapped them and their outputs are different or something?

I tried cleaning all the contacts with isopropyl alcohol but it was tough to get into some parts. I'm tempted to crack it open and make sure the circuitry is clean inside before I toss it and buy a new one.

Also, which light comes on, is it on the top of the unit, by the bracket? Mine has a weird dot but there's still flashing over the dot so I think it would ubstruct the led light.

TBH, this is my 2nd ethernet module. The 1st one I got from AO never worked, so they warrantied it, but I think I got a used one and it never worked. I'm finally getting my tank running great again, so I want to hook it up to the ethernet but now I'm screwed and will probably have to buy a new one.

Paradiddle7
08/13/2010, 11:27 AM
Does anyone know if AT will do repairs? Is it even worth it? A new ethernet module is $175, if a repair could save $50+ it would be worth it. It would really be worth getting my dosing pump repaired too, but I don't know what I would do while waiting for it.

nemo's janitor
08/14/2010, 05:52 PM
Robby, is the power adapter for the ethernet the same as the one for the dosing pump? They look the same, but perhaps I swapped them and their outputs are different or something? They are the same.
I tried cleaning all the contacts with isopropyl alcohol but it was tough to get into some parts. I'm tempted to crack it open and make sure the circuitry is clean inside before I toss it and buy a new one. If it is Water damaged then the warranty is out. So why not crack it to see, and clean if you feel you are competent to do so. Your call.
Also, which light comes on, is it on the top of the unit, by the bracket? Mine has a weird dot but there's still flashing over the dot so I think it would ubstruct the led light.

TBH, this is my 2nd Ethernet module. The 1st one I got from AO never worked, so they warrantied it, but I think I got a used one and it never worked. I'm finally getting my tank running great again, so I want to hook it up to the Ethernet but now I'm screwed and will probably have to buy a new one.

When you connect the Ethernet module via the buss does the controller recognize it? Power on or off.

fmelindy
08/14/2010, 07:48 PM
Not for me, no. How about you Paradiddle?

Paradiddle7
08/15/2010, 05:04 PM
Nope. No lights, no recognition.