PDA

View Full Version : Anemone on the move! Question.

BigGimp77
08/11/2010, 02:40 PM
So our anemone has been in the same spot since we’ve had him (about 2.5 weeks ago). He’s looked great for the past week, especially the past 3-4 days. Well he was in the rock we bought for him (has a nice hole in it). It’s located in the middle of the tank about half way up and he’s been in there since we got him. He’s flirted with the thought of moving once or twice but always ends up back in that hole. Well yesterday I came home and he wasn’t in the rock. He has wedged himself between my HOB overflow and the glass real close to the top of the water. He still looks happy, but I’d rather he go back into his hole. It’s going to make water changes really tough where he is lol. Should I move him back into his hole or will he eventually move? I know Nem’s will move when they aren’t happy, but he looked pretty happy for 2 weeks in his hole
http://i.pgu.me/7XCKC5ia_original.png

Chris27
08/11/2010, 02:48 PM
Did anything change that would cause him to go on walk about? New powerhead, new lights, that sort of thing?

cdeboard
08/11/2010, 03:03 PM
They always move.. its a pain in the butt. I have a huge sebae that has attached once and has since moved all over the place. Now my old LTA's attached and didnt move once.

BigGimp77
08/11/2010, 03:04 PM
Nope nothing at all. I did a 10g water change Sunday and that's bout it.

I heard they move a lot but he seemed so happy in his hole I was hopin to luck out. As it stands now though I won't be able to do a water change so come this Sunday he's getting moved regardless lol.

Toddrtrex
08/11/2010, 04:06 PM
Anemones do not move a lot. They only move when their requirements aren't being met (( excluding clones )).

So, something is off and causing your anemone to move.

What size tank?
What lights?
How long has your tank been set up?
What are your parameters -- with numbers.
What all do you have in the tank ? (( livestock wise )).

BigGimp77
08/11/2010, 04:53 PM
Anemones do not move a lot. They only move when their requirements aren't being met (( excluding clones )).

So, something is off and causing your anemone to move.

What size tank?
What lights?
How long has your tank been set up?
What are your parameters -- with numbers.
What all do you have in the tank ? (( livestock wise )).

37G tank with 30G sump.
T5 lights that I checked on the anemone/clownfish forum and they said I should be fine.
Tank is 4 months old.
I check my parameters Sunday and they were fine. I had a small amm/trite .25 spike when I first added him 2 weeks ago but it has subisded. I don't know the exact numbers since I'm at work, but it was nothing out of the norm.
Tank has 2 clowns which ignore the anemone and a goby.

Like I said. He's looked really awesome the past 4 days. He was always inflated but recently has gotten really bubbly tips.

Toddrtrex
08/11/2010, 04:56 PM
"Fine" doesn't tell me a whole lot, that is why I asked for the numbers -- can't give you any ideas what is going on with "fine".

There shouldn't have been an anemone spike (( no matter how small )) when you added it.

How many T5's? What wattage ? What color temp?

383camaro
08/11/2010, 05:18 PM
I don't know if a couple of weeks is enough time for him to settle in. He might be seeing if there is a better spot. My anemone seems to move if my alk shifts around. Like if I refill my ca. reactor and a few days later he starts to move I can check my alkalinity and it will be a couple of points different.
Do you think maybe your water change moved your alk? Maybe that's not it at all ,but I've had mine 4 years and it seems to be a pattern.
Be careful in trying to move him, you could hurt his foot.

BigGimp77
08/11/2010, 05:47 PM
"Fine" doesn't tell me a whole lot, that is why I asked for the numbers -- can't give you any ideas what is going on with "fine".

There shouldn't have been an anemone spike (( no matter how small )) when you added it.

How many T5's? What wattage ? What color temp?

Like I said I'm at work and can't look up the number but they were 'fine.' As in levels that are suitable for an anemone to live.

I asked about the small amm/trite spike and people said to do a 25% water change to help the bio system and I should be 'fine.'

I posted my bulb types and temps along with tank specs in the Anemone and clownfish sub forum and they said I would be 'fine.' I'm still at work and can't look up exactly what I have.

I can recheck my lvls when I get home. However since I did the water change he's looked the best I've seen him look. It could be a case of he wasn't 100% settled in like you said. I take it I should leave him be until I'm ready to do a water change? Hopefully he decides to move down though lol.

Toddrtrex
08/11/2010, 06:25 PM
Well, since you state that everything is "fine", and you don't know your lights there isn't much I can do to help.

TampaReefer79
08/11/2010, 09:24 PM
How old are your bulbs? You've had it a few weeks, have you fed it yet? Also, I'd move it away from your overflow box. You don't want him ending up in the sump and chewed up by your return pump. As already mentioned, be very careful when moving it. I took an ice cube to my carpets foot to get him to release on it's own when I needed to move it once.

BigGimp77
08/12/2010, 02:44 PM
Bulbs are 3 months old about.

I have 2 icecap 10k bulbs and 1 460nm bulb in my 3 bulb t5 icecap retrofit kit.

I fed it twice. The first time I fed him too much scallop he ended up spitting up half of it. The second time he didnt spit it up but he ended up not looking to good.

Since then everytime I feed my clown frozen shrimp (2-3 times a week) I make sure to sprinkle a little in the nem. I've had more success with this then trying to feed him whole foods like scallop/larger sized chrimp.

He's currently not by the overflow box, he's now in the corner by the return pump. I havent heard of the ice cube trick, but I'll try that if he's still at the top of the tank come Sunday when I do a water change.

Is all you do is place the ice cube on his foot?

Joshnlaura
08/12/2010, 02:52 PM
I have tried to nems and BOTH have gotten eaten up. I just had this problem with the
2nd one yesterday. He had been fine for two weeks to the day and then crawled into my koralia. Little pcs of him stopped up my overflow where the aqualifter sucks the air out and stopped the flow to the sump. My water basically sat stagnet all day while I was work and when I got home I could smell it before I ever opened the door. My wife and kids gagged for almost two hours while I was trying to clean up that mess. I have two small pcs in my sump from the first accident that I will try to transplant back to the tank when they get bigger but I wont buy anymore for a while. They do not stay put at all.

Toddrtrex
08/12/2010, 03:23 PM
I have tried to nems and BOTH have gotten eaten up. I just had this problem with the
2nd one yesterday. He had been fine for two weeks to the day and then crawled into my koralia. Little pcs of him stopped up my overflow where the aqualifter sucks the air out and stopped the flow to the sump. My water basically sat stagnet all day while I was work and when I got home I could smell it before I ever opened the door. My wife and kids gagged for almost two hours while I was trying to clean up that mess. I have two small pcs in my sump from the first accident that I will try to transplant back to the tank when they get bigger but I wont buy anymore for a while. They do not stay put at all.

Sorry for your experience, but to say "They do not stay put at all" is mis-leading. If they are given the proper conditions they don't move. They move when something is "off" (( be it, flow, water parameters, lights, etc )).

I have a green S. Haddoni hasn't moved from its spot in since I put it in the tank -- over 2 years.
My tan S. Haddoni haven't moved since I put in its current tank -- 1.5 years. And in the 12 years that I have had it, each time it moved was because something was off.

rayn
08/12/2010, 06:45 PM
Agreed. I placed two RBTA in my 55 and they haven't moved since attaching to the rock and they attached from day one. Something has to be off for them to move. I've also had a condy that moved, or more like floated, constantly. He went back to the LFS.

dots
08/13/2010, 12:00 AM
Though written a while back, I still consider these great primers.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/btanemmarcq.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/bubbletipanemones.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/anemones.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anempt2.htm

Though I know you checked, but if all you have is the two 10K's and one Actinic......it's on the weak end of things, IMO. When it comes to anenome, they are like SPS you can't screw around......hitting them with with what may be a "minimum" level of lighting makes the odds of it being unhappy, greatly increased.

With that said, feeding becomes more important now....I suggest PE MYSIS shrimp once a week.

Take a good look at your rock work and tailor it along with the flow, to see if you can keep it from going south on you......

dots
08/13/2010, 12:05 AM
I have a green S. Haddoni hasn't moved from its spot in since I put it in the tank -- over 2 years.
My tan S. Haddoni haven't moved since I put in its current tank -- 1.5 years. And in the 12 years that I have had it, each time it moved was because something was off.

way cool :thumbsup:

BigGimp77
08/13/2010, 03:03 PM
Check my parameters last night.

Amm = 0
Trite= 0
Trate = 20 (was between 5-10 before I added him. It should be back down in a couple water changes)
Salt =1.026
Alk=7-8 (kinda inbetween)
PH = 8.4

If anything the water perameters are better then they were a week ago.

He still looks really healthy. Alot better then he looked at the LFS. Really bubbly with no bleaching. I don't think he looks sickly at all.

I get what you are saying about the lights because I was sceptical at first. Atleast 8-10 people on the nem forum say I would be fine. I had him in the middle of the tank bout half way up to make sure he got a good ammount of light. He's in the corner now where my return pipe comes up. If anything he's moved to a spot with LESS light then before.

He might not have liked the flow, and didn't have the enegry or was too stressed to move from the rock I had him at. Is this a possibility?

Fishamatank
08/13/2010, 03:16 PM
Nitrates may be a problem, though I'm not sure. 20 is pretty high.

Joshnlaura
08/13/2010, 03:31 PM
I have two other nems in the tank that havnt offered to move since they were put in. I have one condi and one flower nem. They took hold and havnt moved an inch. Both BTA I have had though crawl constantly. The two pcs that are stuck in the sump from the first mis-hap still move daily as well. They look like they are doing well but never stay in the same place. Maybe someone spilled some Mt. Dew in the tank and they have had a caffiene overdose....LOL

BigGimp77
08/13/2010, 04:33 PM
Nitrates may be a problem, though I'm not sure. 20 is pretty high.

It's defiantly not ideal that's for sure. I had it down to 5-10 before adding the nem. Went through a tiny quick spike so the nitrates are probably an after effect of that spike. I'm going to keep doing 25% weekly water changes untill it comes down.