PDA

View Full Version : Ricordia or lemonade pocillopora...

Drewbaby
08/12/2010, 12:36 PM
I have a medium sized rock in my tank that had one blue ricordia on it. I got a frag of lemonade pocillopora and attached it to the opposite end of the rock. It's starting to encrust, but the ricordia has since multiplied rapidly and one of the new ones is beggining to touch the encrusted part.

How will this turn out? I absolutely do not want to lose the pocillopora. The ricordia I would like to keep but isn't neccesary because I have about 6 more on another rock. Is there an easy way to remove the ricordia without harming it or am I limited to killing the ricordia or moving the pocillopora?

Sugar Magnolia
08/12/2010, 01:37 PM
You can remove the rock and use a chisel and hammer to chip off a chunk of rock under the ricordea to move it to a new location.

Drewbaby
08/12/2010, 01:58 PM
I thought about that, but the rock is holding up half my aquascape as well as 4 other rocks covered in corals

cody6766
08/12/2010, 02:03 PM
The ric will win and, from what I've seen, it will win big. I would find a way to separate them for sure. You may have to break the pocillopora off and glue it somewhere else. The encrusted part may keep growing and work around the ric stinging, but I wouldn't risk the whole coral.

AndyH5512
08/12/2010, 03:37 PM
I'm glad to hear the pocillopora is doing that good. How are the colors coming along?

Drewbaby
08/12/2010, 04:52 PM
Yea I figured the ric would be the stronger of the 2. I'll see if I can move the pocillopora.

Drewbaby
08/12/2010, 09:39 PM
Andy,
The colors are great. The polyps have that nice deep blue/purple there supposed to and the branches are turning a yellow lemonade color. It has a few new branches forming from the sides of the original branches and the tips are splitting off for even more branches. The growth of the branches is still small but noticeable. It's becoming one of my favorite corals in the tank.

AndyH5512
08/12/2010, 10:02 PM
I guess I need to steal your lighting combo so I can get the colors to be proper, LOL. Glad to hear all is well.