PDA

View Full Version : sensor for skimmer collection cup? turn off when level is high

larryfl1
08/12/2010, 08:46 PM
hey all,

my skimmer has overflowed 1 too many times..

it is an alpha and captures into the collection cup

what kind of sensor can i use that would work and also take into consideration bulbles vs water..???

also the other option is i open the drain line from the cup to a larger collectioin chamber and then put sensor on that chamber as it will be larger and easier to use a sensor on it...

thoughts?

AQD_ottawa
08/13/2010, 06:06 AM
Hi

I have looked at this a lot and there are two options

1. Float switch inside the cup, this triggers alarm if the float is triggered, HOWEVER there are two issues. Firstly, the sensor would need clenaing probably once a week at least, and secondly foam in the cup could trigger a false alarm

2. Solenoid on waste outlet of cup - This is best run on a timer, the cup can then be programmed to be auto emptied to a drain or holding vat (Eww imagine the smell) as you so desired.

I would look into option 2 as your most reliable method. I am planning this myself for my tank build.

Aquabacs
08/13/2010, 03:01 PM
Actually may I add to option 2. This is something I am working on. Add a float switch to the secondary cup or drainage container after the solenoid. By doing this, if the skimmer "goes crazy", the cup continues to fill, solenoid opens drains into a container. If the skimmer continues to overfill, solenoid continues to open, and the container soon overfills. With the float in the container, once it is triggered, skimmer will be shut down. This may be a safer option to go forward with. If there are any suggestions to further improve the design, fire away.

Mike

larryfl1
08/13/2010, 06:21 PM
i like that idea..

now i need to find a solenoid that is the right size for the drain on the alpha, stainless or something safe and closed when powered off, open when powered so we only power a little...

Aquabacs
08/13/2010, 09:55 PM
You can use something like this for your project:
http://www.autotopoff.com/solenoid/
there is a ton of alternatives also on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4-Electric-Solenoid-Valve-12-volt-Air-Water-BBTF-/290455635244?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0 and add what ever fittings you want

Check out the DIY forum as well.

Mike