PDA

View Full Version : spider reflectors vs reef optix 2 reflectors

mike011689
08/13/2010, 08:16 AM
Is there any reason this reflector wouldn't be good to use on a 50g where i'll have 2x175w MH?
http://www.marinedepot.com/Spiderlight_Reflector_with_Mogul_Socket_and_Bracket_Metal_Halide_Reflectors-Captive_Sun-CP5753-FILTACRAMH-vi.html

and then that one compared to this one??
http://www.marinedepot.com/Sunlight_Supply_Reef_Optix_2_Retrofit_Single_Ended_Mogul_Based_Reflector_175_Watt_Single_Ended_Metal _Halide_Retrofit_Kits-Sunlight_Supply_Inc-SL1221-FILTRTRMSEHS-vi.html

Obviously the lumenmax and stuff like that are much better reflectors, but on that small of a tank, do you think it would really matter?

Also, are these both compatible with the Sunlight supply blue wave 2 ballast? (the dual 175w ballast is what i got)

Thanks!

mike011689
08/13/2010, 08:17 AM
delete

mike011689
08/13/2010, 01:53 PM
Anyone? Already on page 2 so bump

stanlalee
08/13/2010, 05:03 PM
I cant speak for generic spider reflector but I had reef optix 2 (which is just SLS's batwing), blue wave pulse start dual ballast and 175w AB bulbs 3-4yrs ago and growth was off the charts! tank was 19" tall. All I can say for certain is reef optix 2 with good bulbs are more than enough for anything 20" high or smaller. I went with them because they were plug and play into their ballast which was worth more to me than $20 and splicing wires (the reef optix comes with cord and SLS connector).

jjsan
08/13/2010, 05:46 PM
reef optix 3 had great reviews and there was a test done by a light expert from a university in US.

mike011689
08/13/2010, 05:51 PM
Ok cool, thanks guys.

It will be retro'd into the canopy, so i'm not concerned about how it will look really. Just want something that works, you know?

Anyone have anything to say about the spiders? Cost is gonna be the determiner, unless both are complete crap, then i'll just wait a couple months to get like a lumen max or whatever... But i'd prefer to stay with either of these style reflectors. They seem the easiest to retro and plug and play.

wickedfish
08/13/2010, 06:08 PM
Mike, I hve the feeling you want what I want I went down to hamilton and bought some spiders (14 clams at the store)put them on the retrofit system I have by tucking them under and instantly got more light in the tank.....Happy yes, satisfied heck no..I know that with lets say, a couple lumen arc reflector i would get the max out of my lights...so I am saving $ or trying to find something to trade if they come up. Good luck I started a thread about crappy PE and crappy color in my sps and some how it turned into someone telling me that they had a meeting and had a par meter and compared the spiders to lumen arcs and baaammm... it was a notable difference. He didnt post the exact par but he convinced me he had nothing to gain from lying.

mike011689
08/13/2010, 07:16 PM
Ya true i know what you mean. I actually just found a guy that has a couple different pairs of reflectors locally, one of the pairs are lumenarcs and the other one i wasnt sure of the name but it is one of the more popular ones that everyone seems to want. Both dirt cheap (cheaper than it would be for me to buy offbrand spiders in all seperate pieces and put it together myself).

SO..... Looks like i'll be getting either lumenarcs, or the next best thing.

So now my question is one that has probably been asked a million times, but the search feature never works for me... How high off a 50g tank (36" long) would i put 2 lumenarcs? From what I've heard, they're a pretty wide spread light already....

wickedfish
08/13/2010, 08:00 PM
Is it set up already with water if not put some paper in it towards the bottom and see how much of it gets illuminated by the light in a dark room at different heights if it has water try to rent a par meter, I wish someone had one in my area. I am not in a club but might be a good reason to join..."Hello everyone, I'm here for the par meter maybe a few frags and I'll take the pizza...I'm out.