PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer foam head question

GPhiAce
08/13/2010, 06:20 PM
I have an SWC 200 extreme with Sicce 2500 w/ white lightning PW and volute. I am having issues with the foam head being consistent. When I tune it so that the foam head is where I want it, it adjusts itself. It will stay constant for hours then it will go down to the top of the transition part and remain there for hours, then it will adjust back up the the point where I tuned it to be. The skimmer is in 8" water. I have adjusted it so where it was in 10" and it did the same thing. The temperature is constant and remains between 79.6 and 80.2. Any thoughts. I have a dwyer meter and the SCFH drops by ~7-10 when the foam head drops. The skimmer is always on.

ReefMonkey13
08/13/2010, 07:18 PM
Do you notice the foam head dropping when you feed the tank? If so this is pretty normal behavior from skimmers. The foam often drops when excess oil from the food mixes with the water.

hope this helps, Good luck

celano
08/13/2010, 07:46 PM
Sounds like a classic case of over skimming. Whats the total water volume and bio load in the tank?
Did it do this before you replaced the pin wheel/volute or is it recent?

GPhiAce
08/13/2010, 08:46 PM
Do you notice the foam head dropping when you feed the tank? If so this is pretty normal behavior from skimmers. The foam often drops when excess oil from the food mixes with the water.

hope this helps, Good luck

I did not know this. and yes it does. Recently started feeding Rod's food which is high in fat. Been trying to rinse the food lately, but no change.

Sounds like a classic case of over skimming. Whats the total water volume and bio load in the tank?
Did it do this before you replaced the pin wheel/volute or is it recent?

I have not tried the purple pinwheel. roughly 130g circulating water volume, and only 7 fish. I did not know this is a sign of over skimming. thanks guys.

fishdoc11
08/13/2010, 08:54 PM
It's normal for ceartain things you add to the tank to effect the skimmer output Paul. Oily food will typically knock the skimmer down for a couple of hours or more if it has a lot of lipid. Things like epoxy will make them go crazy for a couple of days after using. The key IMO is to get things adjusted to where they work well when not adding things and keep them there. Hope everything is going well bud:)
take care, Chris

GPhiAce
08/13/2010, 08:58 PM
It's normal for ceartain things you add to the tank to effect the skimmer output Paul. Oily food will typically knock the skimmer down for a couple of hours or more if it has a lot of lipid. Things like epoxy will make them go crazy for a couple of days after using. The key IMO is to get things adjusted to where they work well when not adding things and keep them there. Hope everything is going well bud:)
take care, Chris

Good to hear from you old friend. I am working on it, just never noticed this with my EuroReef, so I was a little surprised. Then again, I never used oily foods or epoxy. Only glue and pellets. Thanks, and I listen to ever word of advice you give. :) talk to you soon.

fishdoc11
08/13/2010, 09:15 PM
Sounds good man:) I miss you guys a lot!
take care, Chris