PDA

View Full Version : Tunze Wavebox vs. MP40

James983
08/13/2010, 08:00 PM
I'm debating the two. My understanding of the Wavebox is that it should be supplemented by additional powerheads. Having used the MP40 before I was impressed with its ability to create random waves. I had a 150 and also had additional powerheads to supplement the MP40 with plans to just go to 2 MP40's before my tank leaked.

So now I'm building a 180 reef and just looking for some imput. I am leaning to 2 MP40's, because they take up so much less space than the Wavebox.

sedor
08/13/2010, 08:29 PM
I would have to agree. Vortechs are amazing powerheads and although I don't personally believe they outperform the wavebox and tunzes, they are equally as effective and the added benefit of a low profile, varied wave modes, no electricity in the water makes them a far superior pump.

Mavrk
08/13/2010, 11:04 PM
FWIW, I was debating the same thing for my 90. I ordered one MP40w ES that will be here next week. Two would be better, but that is an expense for another day. For your 180, I would say get two MP40's (one for each side) and one MP10 for the back wall. While the two MP40s are enough, with the new EcoSmart Vortechs, the MP10 in the back looks like it will do even cooler stuff.

Hmm, maybe I should get an MP10 as my next purchase. Then I might be able to get it sooner :)

Edit: BTW, I got mine from Big Al's which seemed to have the lowest price I could find that was not an e-bay upgrade from an MP20.

714albert
08/13/2010, 11:30 PM
Tunze has been on the top charts a long time. Ecotech has become a angler in this hobby. I purchased the first gen vortex pump, alot of issues then. In terms of vs. one over the other, it so depends on the space in the tank. The Tunze wavebox can be easily be tucked away in the overflow design. Vortex pumps are just not angle friendly as Tunze. Currently own both and the application of them lies on the space and environment you want to create.