PDA

View Full Version : Any way to release pvc parts glued together?

torero500
08/13/2010, 08:51 PM
I have some connections I'd like to take apart and reconfigure, it's just that some of the joints and connectors have been glued together using some gray medium pvc glue. Is there any trick to get the parts apart, or do I have to start over?

uncleof6
08/13/2010, 08:58 PM
If glued right you can break them to get them apart, of course then they are useless anyway. ;) Start over is a good way to approach it.

Jim

Haag13
08/13/2010, 09:09 PM
If you do find a way to get them apart without breaking them, I'd love to hear it! The beauty of PVC is that it's cheap enough to mess up with and start over without losing any sleep.

noobtothereef
08/13/2010, 10:36 PM
http://www.kwtool.com/catalog/images/handsaw.jpg

or this

http://www.rentaltoolsandequipment.com/equipmentPictures/Sawzall.jpg

iamwrasseman
08/13/2010, 10:47 PM
all kidding aside you will need to replace whatever needs fixing .just cut out what is getting replaced and get on with it . there is no way to get them to release unless its within the first minute at the most .

JVJordan
08/13/2010, 11:59 PM
I recall seeing a video where someone took a pipe out of a bulkhead that had been glued. I believe maybe by microwaving it for a few seconds and twisting it out. Can't find it though...

beex215
08/14/2010, 12:41 AM
i used a flat head screw driver and a hammer. worked fine

Reef obcession
08/14/2010, 06:24 AM
cut off pipe and if the fitting cant come off you can use a ram bit to clean it out like a new peice

d0ughb0y
08/14/2010, 06:26 AM
even if you can, you probably don't want to. just cut and use new fittings. you may need to cut a little shorter and use a coupler.

serpentman
08/14/2010, 07:48 AM
You can pop a solvent weld with a heat gun. It's a PITA and no guarantee both pieces will be reusable. Like mentioned, better to cut and replace. However, if you want to pursue, he's a sample vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qJ9zDlVTNM&feature=related

iamwrasseman
08/14/2010, 09:28 AM
yes there are many ways to get it apart i must admit . what you have to look at is if the parts will be compromised in the effort. that is why i would just cut and replace the necessary parts as that's the sure way to do the job right .

luckydud13
08/14/2010, 10:18 AM
I couldnt get mine apart 10 minutes after glung lol. My dad got mad, so he took a sawz-all to it

outy
08/14/2010, 10:27 AM
cut the pipe close to the fitting or gate valve you want to save.

dremel a groove in it almost grinding pipe away then use a hammer and 2 screwdrivers and bust the old pipe right out! works great. I clean up the joint with a coarse hand file and they work just fine and hold great.

I have extesively tested rewelded re-used joints and it will amaze you how strong they still are.

Haag13
08/14/2010, 10:41 AM
Geez, all that for a PVC fitting? Let's wrap up this thread right here. If you have nothing but time on your hands, are hard up for money, or just like a challenge, go ahead and try to chisel, grind, or file away. If not, buy new!

laverda
08/15/2010, 02:28 AM
The heat gun method works great if your willing to sacrifice one of the parts glued together. Usually the tubing is what your going to sacrifice. Heat up the tube and twist it out of the fitting. In most cases the tubing will come out cleanly and the fitting will be fine.
Not all PVC fittings are that cheap and some of us have been out of work for a long time. In some cases it might mean having to replace a bunch of fittings if your plumbing is complicated.

Lps157
08/15/2010, 12:13 PM
Rambit, lets u drill out the old pipe and save the fitting. I'd only use it a situation that replumbing was not at all an option.

http://www.plumbsource.net/product/3237/Ram-Bit.html

jprince
08/15/2010, 12:20 PM
Geez, all that for a PVC fitting? Let's wrap up this thread right here. If you have nothing but time on your hands, are hard up for money, or just like a challenge, go ahead and try to chisel, grind, or file away. If not, buy new!

Exactly... I plumbed my whole tank and sump for less than $50 worth of PVC.

iamwrasseman
08/15/2010, 03:54 PM
this is funny as heck we are trying to save a few bucks worth of pvc fittings but taking days to figure out how and if they will work .
looks like torero500 whuch is the original poster hasn't even commented on all this fuss to save a few pennies .

Tnconcept
08/15/2010, 08:21 PM
Lol its good to know how. Maybe some people just want something to do.

jprince
08/16/2010, 05:09 AM
Well.... Winter IS coming up soon. Sounds like a good project!!:p

uncleof6
08/16/2010, 12:53 PM
this is funny as heck we are trying to save a few bucks worth of pvc fittings but taking days to figure out how and if they will work .
looks like torero500 whuch is the original poster hasn't even commented on all this fuss to save a few pennies .

Not to mention the many other threads that say the exact same thing. Nothing wrong with asking about it, certainly. But..........

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/uncleof6/eat.gif

J

EnderG60
08/16/2010, 01:48 PM
Exactly... I plumbed my whole tank and sump for less than $50 worth of PVC.

Ha, when you start using $20 unions and $40 valves, you will care!

uncleof6
08/16/2010, 02:21 PM
If you have to sacrifice unions, you are probably using too many of them, not really advantageously placed into the system. If you have a need to sacrifice expensive gate valves, you REALLY need to examine how you do your plumbing. Cheap ball valves are sacrificial, but function according to this level. ;)

Jim

musicman1968
08/16/2010, 03:21 PM
if you are wanting to reuse valve etc. just cut off the pipe slightly above where you glued in, that way you can reglue into a coupler.. if it's a small valve, I would advise just replacing it. However it if is say a 1.5" gate valve that costs 15 bucks each and I have 3 on my drain system, then it's worth saving 45 bucks. Like most have said though, I would replace what fittings I could with new ones. Most pvc fittings are really cheap and not worth the hassle of trying to break them apart.

iamwrasseman
08/16/2010, 04:16 PM
i understand in extreme situations but were answering the posted question correct ?
then again he never even commented or asked a single question so is he really concerned ? i think not . yes you can save almost anything ya just have to be a little inventive i guess .
just my 2 pennies and now i will drop it ?

reefermad619
08/16/2010, 04:44 PM
My uncle does irigatition. My PVC and fittings are free! I just pay for ball valves. OK. This thread is officially dead now.

iamwrasseman
08/16/2010, 04:51 PM
lol

reefermad619
08/16/2010, 05:01 PM
Stop wrassman. Dead mean no more bumps. Wait... Damn!

jeff@zina.com
08/16/2010, 06:03 PM
Ha, when you start using $20 unions...

If you have a $20 union, you don't need to cut the pipe to remove it. :)

Also, if you ever intend to separate pipe, use threaded fittings and unions.

Jeff

jwalker314
08/16/2010, 06:43 PM
to reuse valves you can always cut the pipe flush on either side and use a bushing or adapter to size the pipe down, might also require a sealer or silicone, but i never throw out old PVC and more times than not i find a project where i can use those "scrap" pieces.

iamwrasseman
08/16/2010, 07:41 PM
huh?
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
what a concept !

torero500
08/16/2010, 08:24 PM
Wow! This thread won't die...probably one of my most commented on threads, and it turns out it's all about trying to save a $2 piece with $10 worth of time! I guess I might try to free an expensive part, but I looked at my receipt the other day for some of these fittings and they added up to $2.20 from lowe's. Hate to waste stuff but all that heating, waiting , pulling, etc. not worth it most instances, least of all the ease of mashing up your fingers from this.

Is this thread officially dead now?

iamwrasseman
08/16/2010, 08:44 PM
wow exactly my point ! done ~

reefermad619
08/16/2010, 09:00 PM
Wow! This thread won't die...probably one of my most commented on threads, and it turns out it's all about trying to save a $2 piece with $10 worth of time! I guess I might try to free an expensive part, but I looked at my receipt the other day for some of these fittings and they added up to $2.20 from lowe's. Hate to waste stuff but all that heating, waiting , pulling, etc. not worth it most instances, least of all the ease of mashing up your fingers from this.

You should've started the thread with this. I bet most would have said buy new.

sjm817
08/16/2010, 09:20 PM
If you do use an expensive part such as nice quality true union ball valves, use threaded fittings so that the parts can be easily removed. Yeah, cheap stuff cut out, toss and replace.

uncleof6
08/16/2010, 10:05 PM

Probably not, as some one always has to have the last word, and then after it does die, 6 months or a year from now, someone will bring it back to life. ;) Hey no one is picking on you, there is nothing wrong with asking a question.

Hummmm, am editing right now, as when I refreshed my browser, sure enough-- I am right.....

Jim

jprince
08/17/2010, 06:49 AM
Ha, when you start using $20 unions and $40 valves, you will care!

Don't know the prices in your area, but my 1.5" gate valves are $10.48 each and my 1.5" unions are $9.48 each. And that is before my 10% Veterans discount. I probably wouldn't use a slip fitting anyway. That's what IPS is for. Sounds like you are getting hosed by your local box store supply!! :lmao: Bump to keep it alive!!!

torero500
08/17/2010, 12:34 PM
You should've started the thread with this. I bet most would have said buy new.

Well I didn't know before the thread started that it was not an easy task to get the parts apart. That video posted above was pretty good info on what it takes.

iamwrasseman
08/17/2010, 07:20 PM
i have some cut up 1" returns with valves 90s and all the stuff you need . also have all the drain line 2" complete with unions check valves 90s and tons of stuff . they supplied a 12 tank system with water and drain lines complete with a few sawsall slices in them to get them out of the house . if you need some parts just let me know as you can come over for a few hours and get a $10 valve out of it ! omg lmao ~~~~~~woohoooo~

uncleof6
08/17/2010, 07:41 PM
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/uncleof6/shrug.gif

RokleM
08/18/2010, 10:51 AM
Probably not, as some one always has to have the last word

Word.