PDA

View Full Version : Need Equipment Help!

AC2020x
08/14/2010, 01:24 PM
Hey, I have a 125g FO tank that is about 11 months old. Currently my stock is a huma huma trigger (small), a snowflake eel (med) a blue dotted toby puffer (small), 2 pj cardinals, a firefish and yesterday I just added a kole tang.

The kole tang has been doing very well and today once the lights were on he went right to work on nipping at glass and rocks at the algae. Right now I have a 150 NWB reef octopus PS and a canister filter which are both doing great, and I am doing some small calcium/ alk dosing as well as vodka dosing. Everything seems to be doing great.

Here's my question- I have been thinking about getting both a UV sterilizer and phosban reactor.

I've been thinking about them both for some time and one of the main reasons is to help prevent algae along with any other benefits that may come with them. I'm worried though that these two things might cause a decrease in beneficial organisms as well, such as the algae that the kole tang eats and there might be none left for him to eat.

My test kit is at my friends house but last time I checked my phosphates were about .5 and nitrates about 25.

What would you suggest.

Thanks a ton for any suggestions or feedback!
-AC

Saltwatercoral2
08/14/2010, 01:33 PM
You will get mixed opinions on the UV. Some people run them, some dont.. Some say there beneficial, some say there now.. as for the reactor. I recommend using one.

AC2020x
08/14/2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks, if anyone has any experience with them and reasons why I should use either of them that would be great to help me make a decision. Also if you have any specific model in mind for either that would be great also.

Saltwatercoral2
08/14/2010, 01:47 PM
I use a BRS dual stage reactor, GFO and Carbon, I really like it...

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/carbon-and-gfo/media-reactors-filter-bags/dual-brs-gfo-and-carbon-reactor.html

Try that one.

AC2020x
08/14/2010, 02:07 PM
hmm, I like it, do you use yours with the maxi-jet 1200 and the carbon and GFO that they sell on BFS?

Saltwatercoral2
08/14/2010, 02:08 PM
Yes I do..

AC2020x
08/14/2010, 02:11 PM
I will most certainly look in to that. Especially since I can get it all for about $100 seems to be a pretty good deal.

Thanks a ton for the help!!!

AC2020x
08/14/2010, 02:20 PM
1 last question, if I bought the 1lb of the granular GFO which i'm assuming is what you have, how much of that fits in the reactor at once? Also how often do you need to change it out???

Thanks

Saltwatercoral2
08/14/2010, 02:27 PM
ya know, im not really sure lol. I guess I never paid attention, I will look at it here in a few and let you know. 1 lb should last a while.

AC2020x
08/14/2010, 02:59 PM
Either way, I just watched a bunch of vids from BFS and the reactor the GFO and the Carbon and looked at reviews. I think I will definitely be going with this in the next couple days. Thanks a ton for the help.

Then I'll wait and see what people say about UV and hold off till after I have the reactor running for a bit.

Saltwatercoral2
08/14/2010, 03:02 PM
BRS has a top notch staff IMO.. They are very helpful.

AC2020x
08/14/2010, 07:54 PM
Ok, well i'm probably going to go with buying the dual reactor especially after reading all the positive feedback on it. That is unless someone else chimes in with a more appealing option.