PDA

View Full Version : High Efficiency RO/DI Systems

Frank789
08/14/2010, 03:50 PM
High efficiency RO/DI systems are available from AquaFX, Vertex, SpectraPure and AquaticLife. Waste water can be up to 1/4 that of typical systems. Higher upfront cost, but look like a good way to save water. Does anyone have experience with any of these systems and the ratio of product to waste water?

_E_
08/14/2010, 05:57 PM
I currently have a 75 gal/day system from BRS. Not high effieciency I know, but for reference, it produces about 1 gal of RO/DI for around 4 gal of waste water @ 65psi inlet pressure. I know that BRS sells a add on kit that doubles the production of this system (150 gal/day) so that it makes 2 gal of RO/DI for 4 gal of waste water.

99sf
08/17/2010, 01:57 PM
I have the Puratek 100 gallon/day high efficiency system (purchased about 14 months ago). The ratio of pure to wastewater is about 1:1.25, due to the booster pump that is attached to the system. I have been very happy with my Vertex RO/DI system.

khaosinc
08/17/2010, 04:13 PM
I have the BRS 300 gpd and with the booster pump I'm close to 1:1 Dual DI and a booster pump go along way.

PurdueWaterGuy
08/17/2010, 08:17 PM
Large commercial high-pressure two-pass RO systems can achieve recovery ratios as high as 75% - one gallon of waste for every three gallons of permeate.

The concept is definitely scalable - last time I played with the numbers (it's been a while) I think the parts cost alone for a 750 GPD system was just under $2K. And with a two pass system the permeate would be something like 2-5 ppm TDS, making your DI resin last longer.

Construction of a prototype could happen this winter, if all of the home repairs/remodelling get done.

Chris27
08/18/2010, 10:28 AM
Depending on the purity of your source water, you could run a carbon/DI filter and eliminate the need for RO. My source water here in VaBeach has a TDS measurement of approximately 80, so I can economically use such a filter. I have 0 waste-water, and 0 TDS at all times, not to mention over 1 Gal/Min output which is far superior to a similarly priced RO/DI unit. A resin cartridge typically yields about 500-700 gallons and costs around $33.