PDA

View Full Version : Mushrooms?

TheHotOne
08/14/2010, 06:09 PM
I have some red, blues, and multi colored mushrooms in my JBJ 28 Gallon Nano. Some of them are on the back wall, and some are under my rock structures where I can't reach them and some in the open. I would like to know how quick mushrooms multiply?

ReeferChris
08/15/2010, 11:05 AM
In my experience with mushrooms and ricordias, the regular mushrooms grow like weeds to the point that i can't get rid of them quicker. However, ricordias have been a bit slower in my aquarium. I think most people also experience this. good thing is you can alway trade the extras in at the LFS for some discount, won't get a lot but something better than nothing, lol.

-Chris

TheHotOne
08/15/2010, 01:54 PM
With mushrooms how can you tell when they are about to multiply? I have one really nice sized one on the side of a rock. I'm just waiting for it to start spreading, what should I look for?

ReeferChris
08/15/2010, 10:03 PM
You will see a little head start to form around the base or also if you notice that the mushroom is moving (you won't actually see it moving in real time but slowly, lol) it will more than likely leave little babies in it's trail. Also if you see two heads start to form then a split will probably occur.

-Chris

keydiver
08/17/2010, 11:55 AM
you could always slice them in the middle, or use the blender trick

shrimphead
08/17/2010, 02:03 PM
In my experience with mushrooms and ricordias, the regular mushrooms grow like weeds to the point that i can't get rid of them quicker. However, ricordias have been a bit slower in my aquarium. I think most people also experience this. good thing is you can alway trade the extras in at the LFS for some discount, won't get a lot but something better than nothing, lol.

-Chris

if you had a mushroom colony on their own little island/rock away from other rocks, the back wall and glass and you had a sand substrate (so they can't stick to it (can they stick to sand substrate?))
will that stop them spreading?

76frags
08/17/2010, 07:28 PM
if you had a mushroom colony on their own little island/rock away from other rocks, the back wall and glass and you had a sand substrate (so they can't stick to it (can they stick to sand substrate?))
will that stop them spreading?

Mushrooms have a tendency to pop up everywhere in your tank once they start taking off. You'll end up with mushrooms in places you didn't even know you could get them! :D As stated earlier though, they are extremely easy to frag and you can get a few bucks for them at the LFS.

76frags
08/17/2010, 09:31 PM
I've had really high success with razors and sharp scissors. Both cutting completely up and taking tabs off around the perimeter. Seems like dosing higher with iodine really gets them going too.

keydiver
08/18/2010, 05:18 PM
yep thats the best way. just cut them like a pizza with art of the mouth in each slice