PDA

View Full Version : some questions on FOWLR system and suggestions

ziyaadb
08/15/2010, 11:43 PM
I have decided to go fish only with my current tank. No softies. I will be setting up a small complete reef in the coming months, hence this tank will be FO.
In having FO would a low salinity affect the Liverock in the system - would the live rock still stay alive or would it become dead(denitrification properties not goggas)?
What salinity should i aim for to ensure that i can keep the Whitespot at bay?
I will be overstocked - would it be a good idea to add a fluidised bed filter filter with ceramic rings or another type of media to assist with the nitrite to nitrate i currently have about 50 - 60Kg liverock in the system?(what would you suggest)

Can i also have your stocking suggestions on Livestock?
Tank is 51L*27.5W*21.6H
http://a.imageshack.us/img251/4245/201008090083large.jpg
http://a.imageshack.us/img834/3217/201008090087largek.jpg

ziyaadb
08/15/2010, 11:45 PM
PS i do not want predators

palmer373
08/16/2010, 12:10 AM
just a pet peeve, its FOWLR not FO. i have no idea of answers for your questions but i noticed you put "PS i dont want predators" so that essentually means you want some suggestions on a stocking list. lets just the gun and get on it :)

i would look into tangs and angels and then just ask if this one would be ok or whatnot. it looks good already.

ziyaadb
08/16/2010, 12:16 AM
just a pet peeve, its FOWLR not FO.

Fixed;)

jjk_reef00
08/16/2010, 12:27 AM
To keep the 'Whitespot at bay' you need to qt your fish.
What kind of livestock are you interested in?
A good skimmer should be your #1 priority.

ziyaadb
08/16/2010, 12:29 AM
cool understood on the QT
Colorful, active, personable, fish
Have a XP2000 cone reefocto

viggen
08/16/2010, 06:52 PM
Depending on the tank size you might want to go with dwarf angels like a flame, coral beauty etc. Normal angels will get to big to fast.

Tang you would need stuff that either stays small or just grows slow. Like a small yellow tang or something like that usually grows slow. Or a Cole Tang..... which would help keep your LR clean.

One of the most entertaining fish are Hawk fish, the flame being my personal favorite. Very entertaining to watch & they also become dog-like with their behavior. They are also small (under 3-4 in I believe max) so they would work in your tank

Also various types of clown fish would work some do have pretty big attitudes

Some triggers are also OK but most would be to mean &/or get to big for your tank. Blue Jaw / Blue Throat is one that looks really cool & has no attitude.

WuHT
08/16/2010, 08:56 PM
Depending on the tank size you might want to go with dwarf angels like a flame, coral beauty etc. Normal angels will get to big to fast.

Most, but you could try an asfur angel, always categorized as big angels, but I'm having trouble seeing any noticeable growth in mine (stuck at 5" including streamers). However, at 51" that's barely over 4 feet so you're in a tight spot where it's a waste for 1 dwarf angel but might not be a good fit for a decent sized one.

Btw. it doesn't look like you have a lotta flow from your powerheads on the right side of your tank.

ziyaadb
08/16/2010, 10:45 PM
I think the power heads were off when i took that pic i have 36 000Lph flow in the tank about 80X turnover enough for SPS

small alien
08/17/2010, 11:35 AM
Cool looking tank though the rock piles look so precarious (I'm sure they're glued or what-not) that the over-all feeling I get looking at them is nervousness. I would encourage you to try a somewhat more natural approach to stacking rocks.

Good luck with the tank!

ziyaadb
08/17/2010, 11:11 PM
Cool looking tank though the rock piles look so precarious (I'm sure they're glued or what-not) that the over-all feeling I get looking at them is nervousness. I would encourage you to try a somewhat more natural approach to stacking rocks.

Good luck with the tank!

heheheh small alien all the rocks are drilled with a plastic dowel stick through the centre. so very very little chance of them falling over. would need a Really beeeg fish to do that