PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Change?

Atlantus
08/16/2010, 11:08 AM
Hello everyone, I am looking for some advice on what to do about my lights. First off I have been running VHO's for some time now and have not really looked at much else. I have a standard 75 gallon tank with a 4 bulb config running 2x AquaSun and 2x SuperActicnic. Tank contents comprise of some LPS, zoa's, and fish (Have no desire to keep SPS, pretty but not for me). I am going to expand on my collection at some point but I am focusing on keeping these types of live stock.

I normally would not consider making a change however I came home the other night to a buring smell and my lights flickering on and off. What I found is my ballast had burned out and took my wires with it. So I am taking this time to look at maybe making a switch to T5's, which brings to me to my current confussion about what I want to do. So I am coming to you for some advice on which way to go for what I want to keep. I have read around and all this has done is confuse me even more.

So I have a couple questions I am hoping some of you will be able to help me with. I guess I will just list them in order.

Oh before I forget I have a canopy so I have to run a reto fit kit. The kit I have been looking at for the T5's is the Icecap with SLR and a 660 ballast. I am trying to keep costs low but explore my options at the same time.

1. How much light do I really need to keep Zoa's, LPS, and softies? I would like to make my greens, blues, and purples pop a bit more.

2. If I switch from VHO to T5's is it and even trade off or I will need to adjust my bulb count say down or up (3xT5, 4xT5, 5xT5)?

3. What is good combo of bulbs to get in the T5's?

4. Is it a good idea to use 3xT5 and 1xT12(VHO) or is there really any benefit at all? (Or any combo of T5's and VHO's)

5. Should I just stay with the VHO set up?

Thank you in advance

Clint

Oh if I posted this in the wrong section please feel free to move it to the correct sectioin.

MCCOOL
08/16/2010, 11:22 AM
a 4-bulb setup would work well for you. The icecap retro you are looking at is a good choice, I ran it for years with no complaints. 3 ATI Blue+ and an ATI aquablue special is a good combo if you like a blue look, or 2 ATI blue+ and 2 ATI aquablue's if you like a white look.

Edit: forgot to add, switching to t5's is a great idea IMO, far more efficient, and more light too.

corbett_n
08/16/2010, 01:44 PM
For those corals you only need a 4 bulb retro-kit and you don't really have to overdrive them with a icecap ballast. If you get them form reefgeek.com you can get quality bulbs with the retro kit.

jestr
08/16/2010, 02:14 PM
t5 for the win!!! but what are the tanks dimensions if its 18 inches wide it might be ok do to 3 t5s and 2 atnice vhos so 2 aquablue 1 blue and maybe 2 vho super atnic if you like blue if now i think its 454

corbett_n
08/16/2010, 02:18 PM
the actinic vho is the best looking, but does burn quite a bit of electricity

Conrad25
08/16/2010, 02:33 PM
Alright, not sure why no one said anything about the SLR, but I certainly will. The Single light reflector for 4 bulbs is not good at producing the light effectively. If you want to make it a great upgrade and for not much more. I would make it a T5 retro kit from reef geek. They will give you quality bulbs with it and you get everything you wanted with zero issues. Now if you want to go with overdriven t5's with the icecap ballast, thats up to you. But I wouldn't waste my money on that as it burns the bulbs up quicker and produces more heat. The sunlight supply's retro kits like this one http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_2_Retrofit_Kits/48_inch__4x54W_Tek_2_T5_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_Sunlight_Supply for $299 comes with 4 bulbs of your choice, individual reflectors and ballast, endcaps etc. I know a ton of people that use these and not a single issue every has risen from them. It also will knock that SLR and put it to shame.

Conrad

Conrad25
08/16/2010, 02:35 PM
Also I would get rid of the vho as it isn't worth it once you have the t5 setup with all the color combo's you can get out of it.

Conrad

Saltyllama
08/16/2010, 02:46 PM
Alright, not sure why no one said anything about the SLR, but I certainly will. The Single light reflector for 4 bulbs is not good at producing the light effectively. If you want to make it a great upgrade and for not much more. I would make it a T5 retro kit from reef geek. They will give you quality bulbs with it and you get everything you wanted with zero issues. Now if you want to go with overdriven t5's with the icecap ballast, thats up to you. But I wouldn't waste my money on that as it burns the bulbs up quicker and produces more heat. The sunlight supply's retro kits like this one http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_2_Retrofit_Kits/48_inch__4x54W_Tek_2_T5_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_Sunlight_Supply for $299 comes with 4 bulbs of your choice, individual reflectors and ballast, endcaps etc. I know a ton of people that use these and not a single issue every has risen from them. It also will knock that SLR and put it to shame.

Conrad

I think you may be confused. SLR is individual light reflectors, which is the way to go when doing and flourescent bulbs.

OP:
For the coral you are going for, you would be much better off going with a workhorse ballast with your T5s. Overdriving them with the icecap ballast puts out more PAR (which your corals don't really need), but will wash out the color of the bulbs. I currently run the icecap 660 on my 90 gallon. I'm looking into getting rid of it because the color is so much better without being overdriven. Not to mention the workhorse is half the price!

Atlantus
08/16/2010, 03:56 PM
Wow got some great replies here thank you all. It really sounds like I would like to go with the workhorse ballast over the Icecap. I ran an Icecap 660 for some time and really did not know there were other options. If I can get the light output to keep my corals happy while keeping heat and cost down that would be great, not to mention it will prolong the life of my bulbs that would be even better.

However, I do have one concern with going this route. I know I forgot to mention this before but my wife has hinted at the interest of getting a host anenome for our clowns. Would this lighting be good for it or does that drastically change things? This is not something in the plans as of now but it is something I would like to know just in case we decide to go this route.

Also when I go to reefgeeks site on all his stuff he has a little statement "Don't settle for inferior T5 electronic ballasts, like the Workhorse, that are commonly sold with other T5 retrofit kits" what is this all about?

Thanks

Confused

Conrad25
08/16/2010, 03:58 PM
Oh I mis read a little. SLR individuals is what I was meaning to state that you want. Not the other way around

jestr
08/16/2010, 04:01 PM
my gigantia carpet anemone is happy under my TEK t5s .. tek i feel is the way to go for retro fit or even there ready fit kits.

MCCOOL
08/16/2010, 04:12 PM
most types of Anemones will be happy under a 4 bulb retro, assuming you get one with quality reflectors (like the icecap, Tek, or reefgeek).

Atlantus
08/16/2010, 09:24 PM
What do you guys think about, AccuStart Triad 2x24W & 2x39W T5 High-Output Ballast?

I guess all I need is the 2x39W which will allow me to run 2 bulbs on each ballast, correct? Not sure what I will do with the 2x24W.

For some reason I can not find anything on the workhorse. Maybe I am looking for the wrong thing.

Thanks

corbett_n
08/17/2010, 06:49 AM
Well, 24w are about 24" long, so you want the right size bulb to cover your tank. I have 3 bubble tipped anemones under a 4 bulb retro t5 for 2 years. I think workhorse ballast are fine, they just want you to spend more money on an icecap ballast.

Saltyllama
08/17/2010, 10:05 AM
Atlantus -
Workhorse ballast are tried and true quality ballasts. Icecap says that on their website because they are competition. The workhorse will put out more than enough light for your nem as long as you tank is less than 24" tall.

Overdriven bulbs (icecap) is really only needed if you plan to grow SPS on the sand, or you have a REALLY deep tank. The loss of color is still upsetting though.

Accustart is not a brand I have experience with. But Corbett is right.

Atlantus
08/17/2010, 02:43 PM
The reason I ask is because the Accustart are the ballast reefgeek packages for HO T5 setups. He sends 2x24W ballast and 2x39W ballast if I read it all correctly. If you buy a T5 vHO then he packages IC 660. So if I am running just 4 bulbs @ 36" then all I need is 2x39W ballast to run 2 bulbs on each ballast. Again I may be misunderstanding something.

Also can you please provide a link to the workhorse for some reason my searches are coming up with bogus stuff.

Thank you

Saltyllama
08/17/2010, 03:55 PM
Consider yourself linked
http://www.google.com/products?q=workhorse+7+ballast&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7DKUS_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=PQVrTNPBL9Ofngf7vYjeAg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDsQrQQwAA

jx4hansen
08/17/2010, 05:03 PM
Take a look at this RC thread - The T5 Q&A Thread. Grimm will help you out.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1706461&page=286

corbett_n
08/18/2010, 07:20 AM
you won't be sorry you got a t5 setup, I think they are great. Some people miss the shimmer a metal halide puts off though.