PDA

View Full Version : Aptasia in my QT. Now what do I do?

Crush Coral
08/16/2010, 01:54 PM
Looking for suggestions. After have my display set up for 4 years and never having Aptasias, I found that after putting 10 Serith snails in my QT that the Aptasias came with them at no extra charge. How do I get the snails in my DT w/o bringing in the Aptasia and can I then treat the QT with copper to kill the little suckers?:bounce1:

jestr
08/16/2010, 02:26 PM
wouldnt copper kill your snails???

Crush Coral
08/16/2010, 02:36 PM
I would treat it after moving the snails to the DT.

mak3mydae
08/16/2010, 02:40 PM
Yeah, i would stay away from copper. Are there any aiptasias actually on the ceriths?

reeferbro0622
08/16/2010, 02:42 PM
kalk em' mix a kalk and water solution then put it in a syringe and drip a big glop on the mouth of the anemone.

Make sure pumps are off so it doesnt go everwhere, put it on after 5 minutes.

rigleautomotive
08/16/2010, 02:44 PM
Put a half dozen pepermint shrimp in the QT and give them a week or 2 depending on how many and how large the tank is and you will be good.Copper should never be used around inverts,in fact copper should not even be handled if you have inverts,very small amounts will be toxic and very hard to totally remove from your QT.Unless of course you are only QTing fish.

Greatwyte
08/16/2010, 02:56 PM
I doubt the snails are what intruduced aptasia to your tank.

However, snails are about the cheapest inhabitants you will buy for your system. If you really feel they had something to do with the aptasia, I would eat the 10 - 15 bucks and not put them in the DT.

navychief
08/16/2010, 07:18 PM
I ended up with a small infestation of aptasia, but i successfully "nuked" :uzi: the little boogers with Aptasia X. No damage or stress what-so-ever to the rest of my tank inhabitants. A lot of satisfaction watching them implode.

Crush Coral
08/16/2010, 07:49 PM
Hmmm. Aptasia X sounds like a good idea. Pepermint shrimp - if I put a couple in the QT tank can I move them to the DT tank w/o problems? I have corals, Fire shrimp, will get another cleaner shrimp too, will get a clam. Anything they will not go with or will hurt?

Levito
08/16/2010, 09:31 PM
Peppermint shrimp are reef safe and harmless. good way to get rid of the aptasia and a solid addition to your tank. I also doubt the aptasia came in on the snails though, at least without you seeing it. do you have live rock in the QT? anything else which you introduced recently?