PDA

View Full Version : Maroon and Goby in a 30?

The Curious
08/17/2010, 12:48 PM
Heya RC...I have a 30 gallon cube that has been cycling for about 3 months now with live rock and a green brittlestar that I recently added. 1st of all, I have heard that brittlestars can potentially eat small fish while they sleep, or set "traps" for them. If the brittlestar would be best kept in the sump I can do that...just looking for some input.

My real question is whether I could keep a juvenile maroon clownfish and a watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair in my 30 gallon? I know that the clown would need to be added last...I'm just curious if this would be overstocked. I have been keeping freshwater for 5 years...and now that I'm getting into marine I want to make sure that I do it right.

Thanks guys...look forward to the comments

Sugar Magnolia
08/17/2010, 12:53 PM
Yes, the green brittlestars are often referred to as the "green death". They will hover in the rockwork where the fish sleeps and drop down on them. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brittlestars.htm Off to the sump with it!

A single maroon clown and a watchman/pistol pair will be fine in that tank. Maroon clowns are one of the more aggressive and territorial clown species, so adding anything after the clown sets up it's territory (the whole tank), is fair game for harrassment.

cdeboard
08/17/2010, 02:30 PM
I agree with sugar. Also to add, you dont need to add the clown last or first if that is your only fish in there. The maroon will not fight with a goby. Goby are bottom dwellers, especially with a pistol in there.

The Curious
08/17/2010, 07:15 PM
Awesome...thanks guys...now I know.:lolspin: