PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Regional Temp?

Guillaume
08/17/2010, 06:52 PM
Hi,
Who is using RT and especially, do you like it?

And do you let it go down to around 75 degrees in winter? Without issue?

Thanks!

schwaggs
08/17/2010, 07:19 PM
I use it and love it. I also use the Regional photo period adjustments.

My clownfish and Bangaii cardinals only spawn in the warmer months and take the cooler months off. Coral growth is slower when it is cooler but so is algea growth. :) It is only at 80.5 for a few days in the summer and hits 75 for a low one day. I have been running it for years withhout problem. Its cool to see the changes in tank behavior as the seasons change.

elFloyd
08/17/2010, 08:20 PM
Just started using RT about a month ago... a little nervous during the high period in August. But everyone is happy as can be. I'll continue to monitor live stock as the temps drop.

I am able to maintain a .3 degree deviation in temps each day. I am using LEDs... could not have refined the temps using MH.

Oblivionis
08/18/2010, 07:39 AM
I'm using it too for both temp and lighting. I really like that feature.

Guillaume
08/18/2010, 09:01 AM
Great, thanks! Nice to see some use and like it since a while. I'm using photo and moon period since a few months and love it. But RT means some more risks, especially with some organisms that may thrive in warmer temps than 75 degrees. I have to check this.
My concern is reducing humidity here in winter and very isolated house. So I guess 75 will help more than 80. Summer is less a problem since I have a fan doing a good job plugged on the Apex. I heard also some preach for running a reef at 83 degrees is better...
So thanks again guys!

schwaggs
08/18/2010, 09:23 AM
The other thing to consider is that some organisms don't like the water at 80 degrees either. Using RT, everyone gets some time at an optimal temperature and can usually tolorate the short period of time when the tank temp may not be to its liking.

PSam
08/18/2010, 09:23 AM
I also use it, have for a number of years now. I like it to be 75 in the winter (Chicago), that's less the heaters work. And since the change is so gradual, I've really never noticed any detrimental effects in the tank. Regarding the seasonal lighting option, I do fiddle with the SUN setting though, just to make it a touch longer and so that it fits my viewing times.

schwaggs
08/18/2010, 09:33 AM
I do fiddle with the SUN setting though, just to make it a touch longer and so that it fits my viewing times.

I shift the Apex clock back 5 hours so that sunset is later in the evening. I wish the Apex had "tank time" and "real time" like the ACIII had...

Guillaume
08/20/2010, 01:33 PM
I also use it, have for a number of years now. I like it to be 75 in the winter (Chicago), that's less the heaters work. And since the change is so gradual, I've really never noticed any detrimental effects in the tank. Regarding the seasonal lighting option, I do fiddle with the SUN setting though, just to make it a touch longer and so that it fits my viewing times.

Good to know. Here, some weeks long at -22F (-30C) in January, all windows are full of frost so humidity must be low to avoid it. And my problem here is that I like open top tanks...

Specialtang
08/27/2010, 04:52 PM
I use it for my temp and as it has been said before I love to see the changes of the seasons. Yes the corals grow faster in warmer water but the get thicker in the colder. I just started using it for my lights (modified so only running for about 8 hours instead of the 12) so I will have to let you know how it turns out in a few months.

Guillaume
08/29/2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks Specialtang! So should I understand your SPS are growing thicker in the cold than longer in warmer temp? That is interesting!
G

Specialtang
08/29/2010, 05:43 PM
Yes you are understanding correct. I guess another way to get them to grow thicker in warmer water is to add a little extra flow when not feeding.