PDA

View Full Version : major led dimming issues

trentdingo
08/17/2010, 08:09 PM
I am running 12 LEDs off of a meanwell 60-48P.
When i plug them in, they start out at about 50% brightness and then within a few seconds decrease to very very dim (5-10% brightness) and stay there. AFTER I unplug, the LEDs then take a few seconds to go from 5% the whole way up to what i believe to be close to 100% brightness before powering off.
This happens whether the PWM source is connected or not... what is happening and why is this happening?

XSiVE
08/17/2010, 08:52 PM
Do you have some way to be sure that the PWM signal is working properly?

trentdingo
08/17/2010, 09:12 PM
Do you have some way to be sure that the PWM signal is working properly?

unless you can suggest a way... no :/

I am using a Reef Angel controller which has a digital percentage display. The lights do this regardless if they are hooked to the controller or disconnected from the controller's pwm wires.
--> leads me to believe it is either a faulty driver or the controller is not sending PWM signal at all?

Tang Salad
08/17/2010, 09:25 PM
Sounds like the controller isn't sending the signal. Remove controller and test by using any 9 or 10V DC source on the dim wires.

trentdingo
08/17/2010, 09:54 PM
Sounds like the controller isn't sending the signal. Remove controller and test by using any 9 or 10V DC source on the dim wires.

thank you. this works with PWM dimming signal too?

der_wille_zur_macht
08/18/2010, 07:13 AM
Yes, you can test the driver by applying 9 - 10v regardless of which model you have. It equates to a "full on" signal.

But first, check over every step of the wiring. If it's behaving as you describe, I'm a little nervous - with no signal on DIM, it should act as if it's getting a zero signal, i.e. it shouldn't come on at all.

trentdingo
08/18/2010, 08:17 AM
just figured it out... i had a faulty wire from my PWM out on the controller into the driver.
I just replaced the wire and now everything is running very smoothly