PDA

View Full Version : Hydors for a 20G?

Fliger
08/18/2010, 12:17 PM
I have a 20G tank, mostly acans, chalices and acros. Right now I have a couple Tunze 6055's - and they're awesome, but I'll be moving those to another tank soon. They're set WAY down for the 20G.

I'd like a couple replacements for this tank, nothing too expensive. I've been out of the hobby for awhile, and when I left the general consensus was those Koralia pumps weren't very good.

But I see these 240's and 425's - and they look decent. Do they have a poor failure rate? Or do they have problems restarting? They look nice and small.

How do most people feel about these for a 20G with lots of nice corals? And how do the magnets hold up?

Or are there better options? The price is right!

Thanks!

eamike261
08/18/2010, 03:22 PM
I've only my 240 for a couple months but I like it, I unplug and plug it in all the time when I'm feeding the corals and no problems yet. The magnet holds up perfectly, absolutely no issues with that, its strong. I'm pretty sure the consensus now is that they're great, at least that the impression I got on these forums.

I know there are crazy expensive really nice power heads, like MP10 ? or something like that, but for the money, koralia hydors are great.

dublo8
08/19/2010, 02:29 AM
I just picked up the 425 for my 20g today and I love it. I am going to go back and get a second for the other side of the tank though. so far so good and yes the magnet works great, the wet side of the powerhead also has a suction cup around the magnet so it kind of does double duty.

Flems
08/19/2010, 10:16 PM
I've always used the Koralias and theyre great. Never had an issue with one falling off. The older style (1,2,3,4,etc) have restarting issues and as such are not recommended for wavemakers, but the new EVO series supposedly rectified the startup problem and are a little more efficient.

P'cola Reefer
08/19/2010, 10:18 PM
i have 2 425s and have had no problems with magnets, my daughter actually pulls the off the outside sometimes and just the little suction cup holds them in place. i also turn of when feeding coral, no problems! cheap on amazon also!!!

SHADYreefer
08/20/2010, 09:29 AM
i like the 425 on my 20 long and a maxijet for surface movement

fcmatt
08/20/2010, 10:07 AM
I use 3 425s on my 26 gallon bow and they are great. i like more smaller pumps then one
big one. low power usage, quiet, and easy to work with. i am done buying expensive pumps
that just push water when you have options like this available.

Fliger
08/20/2010, 11:07 AM
Thank you guys! So I'm trying to figure this out, looking at Premium Aquatics, there are DC Controllable ones (Nano, 1, 2, 3, etc) - are those the old models that are phased out? And the Evo (425, 750, etc) are the newer models?

If so, it sounds like the Evos are the best, but they don't have flow control - only stop start. In this tank two alternating 425's might be a good choice.

And the DC Controllable (link below) are older models?

http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=HY-JP1911&Category_Code=hydor-dc

dublo8
08/20/2010, 12:03 PM
Evo's are the ones that are controllable the nano's I dont believe are controllable but I could be wrong. Any problems that Koralia had before have been corrected. The 1,2 and 3 etc are some of the older models. like the koralia 1 is actually the nano 425. Fliger I would personally go with 1 nano 425 sat down low in the back of the tank aiming up towards and across to the front side. then get the evo 750 for the top right side aiming across to the left. that's how i did it and I have no dead spots anymore. just a thought for you. enjoy.

Syncere
08/20/2010, 06:20 PM
I have a 20 long and use 2 or the 425s and it seems like just enough flow with the acans and some sps I have. No problems with anything to this point 3 months in so can't really say too much about longevity but going strong still.