PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my damsels :(

bix
08/18/2010, 09:44 PM
Hey everybody,

I have a 135G FOWLR which I just cycled with raw shrimp, did a water change, and then put in 3 domino damsels.

They were fine at first, they were a little freaked out but they would eat. They would hide whenever I went near the tank which I figured was probably pretty normal at first.

I noticed though that they are sitting near the bottom and not swimming around like I thought damsels do. I uploaded a video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyxKMhHSA3k

The video was taken as soon as I turned the lights on. Eventually they did start to swim around a little bit, but completely ignored the food I put in there.

I didn't quarantine the damsels, which was really dumb of me I know...

The water parameters are ammonia and nitrites - 0... nitrates ~5. Salinity is 1.023.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Is there something else I should be testing for? If any other info is needed please let me know..

Ohiomom
08/19/2010, 04:48 PM
something is off..what is you ph level.. also when you said you cyled the tank how long of a period did you wait. Lastly just an fyi..dominos are some of the meanest damsels you will ever come across..good luck adding other fish even in a tank that size..;)

Jstdv8
08/19/2010, 05:17 PM
Probably lack of oxygen. Do you have good surface water aggitation? If not, point those powerheads up until you get some nice waves going.

Chris27
08/19/2010, 06:16 PM
That may just be normal behavior of Damsels....more times then none they stake a claim in a rock and don't stray far from it.

bix
08/20/2010, 10:43 PM
They actually seemed to have recovered and are swimming around. They are hiding in the rock. I think the water was bad from me over-feeding so I did a water change.

Going to add a dogface puffer, picasso trigger and a miniatus grouper... I figure the trigger will probably keep the damsels in line? There's like 175 pounds of live rock..