PDA

View Full Version : Neptune's Service

mixer911
08/19/2010, 08:06 AM
What is everyone elses feelings on neptune's service. I am talking about their physical warranty service as in hardware fix/replacement turnaround. I know Curt is great about helping out with emails, but I feel they are lacking big time on the actual hardware aspect of it. Anyone else care to share their experieces?

poolkeeper1
08/19/2010, 08:15 AM
I had a probe go bad just last week and didn't like the way I was treated by Curt at first. Seems he takes everybody as a you don't know what your doing as a first response.
Then he begrudgingly gave me a RMA# but I have yet to receive my new PH Probe. In contrast I ordered a replacement from BRS and had it the next day, And I also was told to send him a proof of purchase, Seemed odd since the Apex has not been out for even a year yet, So they all are still under warranty JMO
Bill

mixer911
08/19/2010, 08:42 AM
Bill, I had the same experience from him, but at the same time I under stand why he does it as I work in techsupport also. He is just trying to see if he can fix it first. He ran me through about 10 emails of stuff that was already done. But as far as the RMA, it has been almost 3 weeks and I still have not got my apex base module back. It should be here tomorrow. I had to pay shipping back to him and then they shipped it back to me via ground. Seems odd to me that we should have to pay shipping for a item that is under warranty. That should be reimbursed.

kenargo
08/19/2010, 09:30 AM
I had a probe go bad just last week and didn't like the way I was treated by Curt at first. Seems he takes everybody as a you don't know what your doing as a first response.
Then he begrudgingly gave me a RMA# but I have yet to receive my new PH Probe. In contrast I ordered a replacement from BRS and had it the next day, And I also was told to send him a proof of purchase, Seemed odd since the Apex has not been out for even a year yet, So they all are still under warranty JMO
Bill

You mentioned it was a probe that had gone bad; probes are warrantied for 90 days; the Apex base is 1 year I think. That may be why you where asked for proof of purchase.

cshutchinson
08/19/2010, 03:06 PM
Dang it, I just un-boxed a brand new system and the freaking display module won't work. Guess what...send it back. He couldn't fix it via Telnet and made me feel like an idiot in the process. I even had it 95% setup for him to telnet in; just needed to turn telnet on. Can't believe I just dropped all this $$$ on crap that won't work and wasn't tested before it was shipped.

If I upset anyone, I am sorry. I am not a happy camper right now.

mixer911
08/19/2010, 03:58 PM
Dang it, I just un-boxed a brand new system and the freaking display module won't work. Guess what...send it back. He couldn't fix it via Telnet and made me feel like an idiot in the process. I even had it 95% setup for him to telnet in; just needed to turn telnet on. Can't believe I just dropped all this $$$ on crap that won't work and wasn't tested before it was shipped.

If I upset anyone, I am sorry. I am not a happy camper right now.

Did they offer to pay for you to ship it to them? This is the part that irks me. Then after its fixed it gets ground shipped back to you. I can understand the cost factor for a company that express shipping can be, but most people have these on a system that is dependent on it. That is a given, so this is why I am letting people know that is what to expect when something fails on their neptune device. I had a module fail from another controller manufacture and they overnighted me the part and sent me a prepaid return label. When we have this much invested in a device it the least a company could do for a defective item :mad:

cshutchinson
08/19/2010, 05:12 PM
Did they offer to pay for you to ship it to them?
:mad:

No, I had to eat the return shipping. The guy I spoke with couldn't even apologize about the defective merchandise they are shipping out. It cost me $50 bucks to ship it overnight, clear across the country. They will likely ship back ground I guess. So, I will sit here and twiddle my thumbs in the mean time. I am tempted to return the entire system less the display module, along with the three modules, 3 probes, and the moonlight system for a refund.

mixer911
08/19/2010, 08:20 PM
No, I had to eat the return shipping. The guy I spoke with couldn't even apologize about the defective merchandise they are shipping out. It cost me $50 bucks to ship it overnight, clear across the country. They will likely ship back ground I guess. So, I will sit here and twiddle my thumbs in the mean time. I am tempted to return the entire system less the display module, along with the three modules, 3 probes, and the moonlight system for a refund.

That is really lame CS I swear. I have used neptune products for over 6 yrs (had a AC3 when they were first released and paid over $1200 for it, used it for a little while, but had to sell it) and this is the first time I have had to deal with a RMA and I am shocked at the level of service we get on warrantied items. I could see if it was Out Of Warranty, but these are new devices. I have only had mine running for about 4 months.

aquamanic
08/20/2010, 02:09 AM
I think paying for return shipping is more the norm than the exception. I just had a web cam fail under warranty and Linksys shipped the return unit on their dime but I had to ship the failed unit back on mine. My wife just went through the same thing with Amazon. Few (Zappos comes to mind) actually pay both ways.

I know nobody likes it but I really do think most companies operate this way.

schwaggs
08/20/2010, 08:32 AM
I think paying for return shipping is more the norm than the exception.

I agree, especially technology.

I would like to see Neptune create an advanced replacement system. Something where they charge your credit card for the item including shipping and when you return the defective item, you get your card credited back. Also, how about shipping everything priority mail which arrives in 2-3 days, nationwide, instead of UPS ground...

cshutchinson
08/20/2010, 08:37 AM
To me it not really about the shipping, even though it would be nice if they would return it in the same fashion as it was sent to them.

As a consumer, all I want is for my problem 'to seem' as important to the vendor as it is to me. There is no reason not to treat your customers kindly unless they aren't kind in return. I don't want to be belittled on the phone because I 'dare' to ask for support on a DOA item. I try to be as nice and courteous as possible and do my homework and research a problem before I call.

If they are busy and overwhelmed, that is not my problem, that is a management or ownership issue.

aquamanic
08/20/2010, 08:48 AM
I would like to see Neptune create an advanced replacement system.

I think that would be a good idea also but I'll bet you one of the issues with doing that is the current shortage of units and the capital that ties up having those devices sit in inventory waiting to swap out. Then when the bad unit comes in, it still has to be fixed but now it also has to be refurbished (say the display module comes back with a scratched screen). For a big company with thousands of units in inventory, not a big deal but I think Neptune is selling 2 for every one it makes. A good problem to have but a problem never the less. They would much rather meet demand than inventory them - I would too!

The best solution is improved QC in the first place.

CJO
08/20/2010, 08:58 AM

I would like to see Neptune create an advanced replacement system. Something where they charge your credit card for the item including shipping and when you return the defective item, you get your card credited back. Also, how about shipping everything priority mail which arrives in 2-3 days, nationwide, instead of UPS ground...

+1. I have an issue with my base unit, which I think that I caused. I don't mind paying for the repair or for an advanced replacement unit, but I haven't sent it in because I don't want to be without it for such a period of time. A Priority Mail option would definitely be a plus to me.

CJ

mixer911
08/20/2010, 10:39 AM

Agreed 100%. That is what most companies I have delt with would do. Its about customer service and IMO neptune really is lacking on that front. I would have been willing to pay the difference to get my system up and running faster.

To me it not really about the shipping, even though it would be nice if they would return it in the same fashion as it was sent to them.

As a consumer, all I want is for my problem 'to seem' as important to the vendor as it is to me. There is no reason not to treat your customers kindly unless they aren't kind in return. I don't want to be belittled on the phone because I 'dare' to ask for support on a DOA item. I try to be as nice and courteous as possible and do my homework and research a problem before I call.

If they are busy and overwhelmed, that is not my problem, that is a management or ownership issue.

I agree here too with the overall empathy. Even if you as a company do not care what kind of issues your customers have, you should still show empathy towards them. Thats just Customer Service 101. These are exact reasons why I wanted to know how everyone else has been treated. I am starting to see a pattern here. When we spend the kind of money they controllers cost and depend on them to control thousands of dollars worth of equipment and livestock, I think you deserve some sort of empathy and rapid response options. I felt like it did not matter to them that my system crashed and it was like of well, we will get it to you when we do....

revnull
08/20/2010, 10:58 AM
Since in live about 10 miles away from Neptune I can't speak to the RMA shipping process. I can tell you that when I had a problem with my Apex display, I walked in to drop off the RMA expecting to leave it for repair. Curt's staff was friendly and fix my display while I waited (about 10min). Very good service as far as I'm concerned.
If I did not live within driving distance, I would want an advanced shipping option. From my own experience, when you insert such a high level of automation into your aquarium being without it is crippling. At best, you have to revert back your old rusted timers and re wire everything. The Apex has become quite literally the heart of my system. A quick turnaround option for vital components, base unit, EB8, or temp probe is a must.

jjstecchino
08/20/2010, 01:06 PM
Since in live about 10 miles away from Neptune I can't speak to the RMA shipping process. I can tell you that when I had a problem with my Apex display, I walked in to drop off the RMA expecting to leave it for repair. Curt's staff was friendly and fix my display while I waited (about 10min). Very good service as far as I'm concerned.
If I did not live within driving distance, I would want an advanced shipping option. From my own experience, when you insert such a high level of automation into your aquarium being without it is crippling. At best, you have to revert back your old rusted timers and re wire everything. The Apex has become quite literally the heart of my system. A quick turnaround option for vital components, base unit, EB8, or temp probe is a must.

I wholehartedly agree. Once you invest on a controller the well being of your tank entirely depends on it. Lights, pumps, flow patterns, reactors control , top off and more are all automated and a disruption of such functions can be seriously detrimental to your system. I believe a 3 weeks turn around is totally unacceptable and an advanced return program with quick shipping is a must.

In the end, the success of a product such as a reef controller will be dependent not only on its features but mostly on its reliability and the quality/promptness of support you will receive when needed.

I hope Curt will take some of these constructive suggestions seriously and step up to meet his customers needs. This will help transition his company from good to great.

Having said that, I was an Apex early adopter and I needed support with a defective eb8. Curt was very polite and helpful on the phone, I received a new eb8 within a week as advance return (he did not ask me for any credit card deposit, just gentleman word) and shipped the defective back in the same box I received the new one. Again I preordered the apex all this was at the beginning of this product life.Things must have changed in the meantime.

JeF4y
08/20/2010, 01:24 PM
I dunno... I had a bad display when the Apex first came out (I pre-ordered) and Curt took great care of me then. And recently had an issue with an EB8 which Curt would have replaced, but talked me through repairing via email.

He answers my idiotic questions very quickly and has taken care of hardware problems that I've had.

No complaints here.

cshutchinson
08/20/2010, 01:32 PM
To some degree, maybe I went about this the wrong way. Instead of sending the unit in under RMA, I should have just asked my vendor for a replacement since it was a brand new DOA. I did this today and they were gracious enough to help me out...even though the display was enroute to Neptune.

I don't have any ill feeling towards Curt, I am sure he is great. Maybe my southern accent came across the wrong way. Anyone can have a bad day, including me.

I have great expectations for my Apex unit and all the accessories I purchased with it. I will use it and be happy. It really appears to be the best option available on the market right now. I will consider buying a backup however. I don't want to lose a tank over it.

Aquamaniac was kind enough to write that great manual which is easy to follow. I was able to update the unit to the latest firmware, update the webpages, and get it live on the web without a static IP. I just couldn't get that new display working and neither could Curt (I assume it was him). I was greatly disappointed, but things happen and I was upset.

So Curt, when you read this, I apologize for getting upset. My vendor who is great and I am sure you know their names by now, helped me out. Peace if you will. I am looking forward to this great product and didn't want to come across as a person hard to deal with in my original post.

mixer911
08/20/2010, 02:49 PM

Now that would be nice, but unfortunatly not everyne is that close. But you can agree on how dependant we have become on them. and for a company to be respected in this era with how dependant we are becoming on them, service turnaround is going to be key. Also looking foward when the unit is not under warranty anymore. It does not mean the unit is not important to US as the user, we should still be offered a expedited repair option when its expired also.

I wholehartedly agree. Once you invest on a controller the well being of your tank entirely depends on it. Lights, pumps, flow patterns, reactors control , top off and more are all automated and a disruption of such functions can be seriously detrimental to your system. I believe a 3 weeks turn around is totally unacceptable and an advanced return program with quick shipping is a must.

In the end, the success of a product such as a reef controller will be dependent not only on its features but mostly on its reliability and the quality/promptness of support you will receive when needed.

I hope Curt will take some of these constructive suggestions seriously and step up to meet his customers needs. This will help transition his company from good to great.

Having said that, I was an Apex early adopter and I needed support with a defective eb8. Curt was very polite and helpful on the phone, I received a new eb8 within a week as advance return (he did not ask me for any credit card deposit, just gentleman word) and shipped the defective back in the same box I received the new one. Again I preordered the apex all this was at the beginning of this product life.Things must have changed in the meantime.

Exactly why I started this thread. I have read hundreds of Neptune threads and could not beliveve I was the only one that was thinking this way about my situation. Like I just said to revnull, when the unit is not under warranty anymore, It does not mean the unit is not important to US as the user, we should still be offered a expedited repair option when its expired also. Its not like we can take it to a local computer shop and have it fixed. Neptune is the sole provider of the service and support our tanks are depending on. If they are not going to pony up and build a support infrastructure to assist the Users of the product, then the company that does will be on top. Don't get me wrong the product is amazing, just being down sucks :thumbdown:

I dunno... I had a bad display when the Apex first came out (I pre-ordered) and Curt took great care of me then. And recently had an issue with an EB8 which Curt would have replaced, but talked me through repairing via email.

He answers my idiotic questions very quickly and has taken care of hardware problems that I've had.

No complaints here.

When it can be fixed that way is great, but its when you have to deal with returning the unit or modules is where is gets fun. Especially when you are across the US from them.

ricde
08/20/2010, 09:41 PM
Also, how about shipping everything priority mail which arrives in 2-3 days, nationwide, instead of UPS ground...

+1 to this. I've had to return my display twice. First time (totally my fault... screwed up a firmware upgrade) shipped out and returned UPS. My cost $8.59, took 15 days to get it back, Neptune turned it in one day.

Second time, the power outage bug got me. Sent the display and a prepaid flat rate small box in and got it back in 7 days for a little over a dollar more than me shipping it one way, $4.90 both ways. Also, I don't need to worry about the package being left out on the porch.

I hope they do start using priority mail, especially for us poor east coasters. Either the base or the display can easily fit in the small boxes, the Eb-8's might be another story.

As far as service, I've always been treated respectfully and never had a problem getting a RMA# or one of my dumb questions answered.

thebradybunch
08/21/2010, 08:35 PM
I asked Curt this week about shippinh USPS and he refused saying they do not have a reliable tracking program which is somewhat true. I have had items shipped to me and when I tried to track them the website would should "Shipping information received" I have actually received the package and it would be 2 days later before the website would show it delivered. I just sent my entire system back from NC to California and it arrived in 2 days with Priority Mail and the tracking was dead on so I guess it's a chance you have to take. Worked good for me this time. For the price and the speed I am willing to take the chance.

poolkeeper1
08/21/2010, 08:57 PM
I asked Curt this week about shippinh USPS and he refused saying they do not have a reliable tracking program which is somewhat true. I have had items shipped to me and when I tried to track them the website would should "Shipping information received" I have actually received the package and it would be 2 days later before the website would show it delivered. I just sent my entire system back from NC to California and it arrived in 2 days with Priority Mail and the tracking was dead on so I guess it's a chance you have to take. Worked good for me this time. For the price and the speed I am willing to take the chance.

I just sent my Probe back to Neptune on 8/16 from Tn and they got it on 8/19 and sent me a new probe the day they received it! Only Issue was they did not notify me of this progress and I E-mailed them to see what was going on then was told It shipped UPS Ground.
I ordered a Probe from BRS and got it the next day Via USPS, Go Figure.
As far as the probe being warranted for 90 days, My unit is less than that old.
Maybe a bad day, maybe he's overwhelmed with too many Issues on these units. He did resolve my problem and that's what counts. Every one has bad days. JMO
Bill:wave:

coffeenut
08/21/2010, 09:59 PM

No complaints here.
I have to agree with this.. Curt, is not your typical personable CS person, but he is awesome with his timely responses, he answers me @ all hours of the night, even on weekends.
I send a email @ 11pm, sometimes i have a response by 2 am..
as far as bad electronics... i learned with Aquatronica, to have back ups of the importaint stuff.. so i bought extra main unit and display, and EB8 for my APEX, I know.. so i spent a few hundred extra.. but SO WHAT.. you spend thousands on your tanks.. be prepared.. electronics fail.. its a part of life in this era.. if you just bought something in the last 30 days..IM SURE your reseller will replace it ASAP, if not you need a new reseller... call PREMIUM AQUATICS.. Jeremy is the best... BRS also rocks..

jjstecchino
08/22/2010, 06:00 AM
i learned with Aquatronica, to have back ups of the importaint stuff.. so i bought extra main unit and display, and EB8 for my APEX, I know.. so i spent a few hundred extra.. but SO WHAT.. you spend thousands on your tanks.. be prepared.. electronics fail.. its a part of life in this era.. if you just bought something in the last 30 days..IM SURE your reseller will replace it ASAP, if not you need a new reseller... call PREMIUM AQUATICS.. Jeremy is the best... BRS also rocks..

Coffeenut, would be nice to have a double of everything in life.... But sometime it is just not possible, especially since we have already spent MANY THOUSANDS on our tanks.
Respectfully, I do not subscribe to the SO WHAT attitude and to the message unfortunately pushed by manufacturers to make everything a disposable consumable i.e. expect failure in a relatively short period of time (warranty period) and plan on replacement. I personally would be more than glad to spend a few extra bucks on a product that boasts enhanced reliability and excellent customer support over a long product lifetime.

schwaggs
08/22/2010, 06:46 AM
I personally would be more than glad to spend a few extra bucks on a product that boasts enhanced reliability and excellent customer support over a long product lifetime.

Unfortunately, you are in the minority in this country. People will put other Americans out of work to save $3 on a coffee pot made in China that you could never find the manufacturer to get some parts even if you wanted to. This is why we have a disposable mentality in this country.

coffeenut
08/22/2010, 07:24 AM
Coffeenut, would be nice to have a double of everything in life.... But sometime it is just not possible, especially since we have already spent MANY THOUSANDS on our tanks.
Respectfully, I do not subscribe to the SO WHAT attitude and to the message unfortunately pushed by manufacturers to make everything a disposable consumable i.e. expect failure in a relatively short period of time (warranty period) and plan on replacement. I personally would be more than glad to spend a few extra bucks on a product that boasts enhanced reliability and excellent customer support over a long product lifetime.

not have a double of everything in life.. but the IMPORTANT stuff.. a lot of serious Reefers do.. when it comes to redundancy in our tanks.. its always good to have things like extra controller parts.. extra main pump, and typically ph probe.. i also have a back up generator , as some do..

All i can say is do you work for Cisco..? They have stuff that rarely ever fails, but its more than a few bucks extra.. its more like 2x the cost of the alternative.. which in that case you can buy a spare..

Do you have a spare tire in your car? I'm guessing not.. just buy better tires, because that will keep you from getting a flat..

Sorry i don't share your mentality, nor do millions of other people in this world.. they all have spare tires.. :D

jjstecchino
08/22/2010, 07:37 AM
Unfortunately, you are in the minority in this country. People will put other Americans out of work to save $3 on a coffee pot made in China that you could never find the manufacturer to get some parts even if you wanted to. This is why we have a disposable mentality in this country.

It is sadly true! And most people do not even come close to realize the true cost of those 3 "saved" bucks.

Having said that, I believe the reality of our hobby is different than mass walmart style consumerism. We are all more or less willing to spend premium money but it is just fair to demand quality products and service in return.

I give you a very practical example: I could have solved my flow problem with a couple of koralias and a cheap wave maker, instead I preferred to go with vortecs pumps because of the product quality and superior customer support. The second option is significantly more expensive but the combination of quality product and excellent support makes it worth. I believe echotech understands they are selling a niche product at premium price and this can be a successful proposition only if they can provide excellence along entire line.

Neptune in my mind is in a similar situation and to be successful they have to differentiate themselves from the competition providing a quality product and ecellent support as well. Otherwise there are or there will be cheaper alternatives that may become more attractive. In the electronic world now a day it is quite easy to add "features" and improve on existing products. This is why you cannot win this battle on features alone.

Cathy8424
08/22/2010, 08:54 AM
I have to agree with this.. Curt, is not your typical personable CS person, but he is awesome with his timely responses, he answers me @ all hours of the night, even on weekends.
I send a email @ 11pm, sometimes i have a response by 2 am..
as far as bad electronics... i learned with Aquatronica, to have back ups of the importaint stuff.. so i bought extra main unit and display, and EB8 for my APEX, I know.. so i spent a few hundred extra.. but SO WHAT.. you spend thousands on your tanks.. be prepared.. electronics fail.. its a part of life in this era.. if you just bought something in the last 30 days..IM SURE your reseller will replace it ASAP, if not you need a new reseller... call PREMIUM AQUATICS.. Jeremy is the best... BRS also rocks..

I agree that "Curt, is not your typical personable CS person, but he is awesome with his timely responses, he answers me @ all hours of the night, even on weekends. I send a email @ 11pm, sometimes i have a response by 2 am."

And I agree about having a spare tire, which I do. But I do think it would expound on their already great customer service if they would use factory referbs to send out to customers that need to send their units in. If the loaner units are sent out with a CC number filed, there should be little risk of not getting the loaner units back. One draw back would be a bit more paper work to keep track of loaners out and their return.

mixer911
08/22/2010, 11:06 AM
i learned with Aquatronica, to have back ups of the importaint stuff.. so i bought extra main unit and display, and EB8 for my APEX, I know.. so i spent a few hundred extra.. but SO WHAT.. you spend thousands on your tanks.. be prepared.. electronics fail.. its a part of life in this era..

I understand where your coming from, and if you have so much money for extra stuff, can you buy me a backup ;). Pumps, yes, whole controller packages, not quite. Why should we have to purchase hundreds of dollars of equipment and have it sitting on a shelf waiting for that what if? If we were running a business then I could see doing that, but this is a hobby and we already paid a preimum for a product to function. If that company cannot understand the importance of their product to the consumer and assist with faster turnarounds, then I hate to say it, it will catch up with them and customers will go elsewhere. I will tell you that I work for a large computer manufacture and we offer 4 hr service on our systems. Not everyone buys it, but the ones that need it have the option. I would rather pay up front a preimum to have expedited service or the option AFTER the item fails. Like you said we already have thousands in our tanks, why should we have to be the ones that puts out hundreds more to backup a product that is supposed to work and we have paid for? Sounds like they want to boost their sales from their failures.

kurt_n
08/22/2010, 03:39 PM
Do you have a spare tire in your car? I'm guessing not.. just buy better tires, because that will keep you from getting a flat..

Sorry i don't share your mentality, nor do millions of other people in this world.. they all have spare tires.. :D

Most people have spare tires in their cars because they came with the car. It really has nothing to do with their mentality, or even if they have a brain in their head. From my experience, the majority of those folks don't even know what to do with the spare tire - if they even realize they have one. Bad analogy.

IAReefer
08/23/2010, 01:17 PM
I agree that USPS Priority might be a better option cost wise and we would get our gear back much quicker. At most it would cost them $8.00 to ship via this route. Since they are a business im sure they get a discount and USPS will pick up packages just like UPS or FEDEX.

jjstecchino
08/23/2010, 04:59 PM
not have a double of everything in life.. but the IMPORTANT stuff.. a lot of serious Reefers do.. when it comes to redundancy in our tanks.. its always good to have things like extra controller parts.. extra main pump, and typically ph probe.. i also have a back up generator , as some do..

All i can say is do you work for Cisco..? They have stuff that rarely ever fails, but its more than a few bucks extra.. its more like 2x the cost of the alternative.. which in that case you can buy a spare..

Coffeenut, as a matter of fact, my car....... does not have and does not come with a spare tire since it uses run flat tires. Again a little more expensive but more reliable.

Xenia_Princess
08/23/2010, 05:26 PM
stand behind your product....hire customer service Professionals*** if you are not one.

CJO
08/24/2010, 06:52 AM
I will have to say that I have not had any problems talking to him over the phone. I think that he puts a lot of effort into helping people when they call or email him.

CJ

poolkeeper1
08/24/2010, 07:22 AM
A 9 day turn around is just too long to wait for a replacement part, That failed to operate as expected when purchased. Long story short they are lacking good c/s in this area.
Curt should take some lessons from Roger Vitgo at Tunze, He has great c/s period.
Bill

tzzhc4
08/24/2010, 11:10 PM
I had a defective temperature probe for my AC3 a few years ago (it wasn't sealed right and stopped working). As I remember I got a replacement quickly. I have always been very happy with the service.