PDA

View Full Version : Wh's the current Triggerfish Guru?

mattsilvester
08/19/2010, 08:11 AM
Hi all,

Its been a while since I frequented RC - lots of stuff going on in my perosnal life. So, simple question - who in the forum knows their stuff regarding triggers, who is active?

Cheers,

Matt

Recty
08/19/2010, 09:53 AM
There are quite a few of us on here still who currently own or have owned multiple triggers, between three or four of us we've owned pretty much every type that is available in the trade.

Anyway, I wouldnt call myself a guru but I'll gladly answer what questions I can. I'm decently active on these boards.

Stuart60611
08/19/2010, 11:46 AM
I have owned three different humas, a pinktail, a saragassum, and currently keep an indian trigger. I am definitely not a guru, but I have a fair amount of experience with triggers and may be able to answer some questions also (not that Recty is not fully capeable of probably answering any questions you may have).

kirkaz
08/19/2010, 01:18 PM
No guru here, but I have had multiple Triggers in my home for close to 10 years now...If you are wanting the more aggressive genuses, I would say Jason is the guy here with the most experience.

triggerfreak
08/19/2010, 07:26 PM
What do you want to know.I have and still do own multiple triggers.And over the past 13 years i have owned every trigger out almost.There are a few of us that know alot like recty and jmccown.

OSTguy
08/19/2010, 08:52 PM
I've kept:

queen
clown
blue line
starry
undulated (both red sea and not)
pink tail
rectangular
picasso
titan
crosshatch
orange sided
lei
goldenheart
bluejaw
Indian

Anyone that can beat that list?

I'm missing:

blunt head
rogue
blue throat
blue throat look alike
bridled
yellow margin
black

barbianj
08/19/2010, 09:21 PM
That IS an impressive list, OSTguy! Whew.

Here is mine:

Pink Tail
Humu Humu
Gold Heart
Blue Line
Queen (currently 19")

I have all of them in tanks except the carpet surfing Humu.

triggerfreak
08/20/2010, 07:17 PM
I have had all those ( except the lei ) plus a bluethroat and the black trigger.I've kept:

queen
clown
blue line
starry
undulated (both red sea and not)
pink tail
rectangular
picasso
titan
crosshatch
orange sided
lei
goldenheart
bluejaw
Indian

Anyone that can beat that list?

I'm missing:

blunt head
rogue
blue throat
blue throat look alike
bridled
yellow margin
black

Wolverine
08/20/2010, 07:38 PM
I haven't dealt with titan or goldenheart.

OSTguy
08/20/2010, 09:44 PM
Need to see a pic of the orange sided (sufflamen verres) Triggerfreak to believe it.

jmccown
08/21/2010, 05:18 AM
I believe I have had all triggers except X-hatch and orange sided. My current residents are:

12.5" Aussie Clown Trigger
8" Queen Trigger
6" Undulated Trigger
6" Niger
8.5" Lei Trigger

Still have a bunch of angels and tangs with them.

geaux xman
08/21/2010, 05:31 AM
would a pair of male blue throat triggers work okay in a 125g? they would co-exist with 1 blue tang.

just thinking what i can have for a future tank.

triggerfreak
08/21/2010, 02:36 PM
I did have one now that i look at the pics.He was about 4 inches or so and got a great deal on him.Took him back though because he was extremely mean.Jason i thought you had gotten one also.About the same time i did last year.And i can't find any pics.I don't remember taking any of him.Did not have him that long.I think he was listed as a yellow belly or something.I think i had a thread about him on here somewhere.Need to see a pic of the orange sided (sufflamen verres) Triggerfreak to believe it.

mattsilvester
08/21/2010, 09:10 PM
Ok guys - thanks for all the replies! Well this is a relatively simple question.

I have always wanted a clown trigger - and I like triggers in general. I have kept a couple over the years, but only ever for short periods (for various reasons).

I have recently relocated to Thailand, and from all indications I will be staying here for quite some time. I am living in rented accomodation for now, and will be for the next 12 months or so, and until I settle into my "own" house, I am going to set up a more modest tank that I usually would. So the tank I'll be setting up is going to be 39"x24"x24".

My question are:
(1) What sized clown trigger would comfortably fit into this sized tank?
(2) At what size would he "outgrown" this tank?
(3) And approximately how long would this take (to grow from the recommended starter size to the outgrown size)?

I've never been one to overstock a tank, so tankmates are likely to be kept to a mimimum. They might include other varieties of trigger, puffer, or the like......

If my proposal is highly inadvisable, then I'll just set up a reef instead :)

Many thanks,

Matt

jmccown
08/22/2010, 06:12 AM
That's a pretty small tank to be honest. I'd say a CT in 3-5" range. Any bigger and you'll need a larger tank. If you go by the Thailand standards you could get about 20 fish in there though, lol.

mattsilvester
08/22/2010, 07:33 AM
That's a pretty small tank to be honest. I'd say a CT in 3-5" range. Any bigger and you'll need a larger tank. If you go by the Thailand standards you could get about 20 fish in there though, lol.

Why only 20...... that seems very low...... :)

I'd be happy with something around 3" or so, and assuming a couple on inches growth per year then he should be getting into the "time to move on" catagory around about dead on my schedule.

I agree, its not a very big tank - but that will change very quickly..... smallest tank I will have had in over 10yrs.

My own "rule of thumb" for angels and tangs is that the tank should always be at least 6-8 times the current length of the fish (obviously that doesn't mean a 2" angel can be kept in a 12" tank - some common sense needs to be applied). But at 5", my rule of thumb would indicate a tank in the region of 30-40"...... while not ideal, it is somewhere in the ballpark. I mean a 12" fish in a 180 has a dimensional ration of 1:6:2:2 - but a 6" fish in a 90 has a dimensional ratio of 1:6:4:4..... so a 5" fish in a 39"x24"x24" (1:7.8:4.8:4.8) shoudn't be too much of a hardship, right?

Cheers,

Matt

small alien
08/22/2010, 12:14 PM
That's some mighty fancy fish math there, my friend. You've convinced me. :)

mattsilvester
08/22/2010, 07:49 PM
That's some mighty fancy fish math there, my friend. You've convinced me. :)

engineer = hyper analytical pedantic nerd :)