PDA

View Full Version : Underwater P&S

fickle1
08/20/2010, 12:22 PM
I tried posting this in the photography forum, but didn't really get any response.

I am looking at purchasing a rugged P&S camera. I have narrowed it down to either the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2, or the Canon PowerShot D10. I really prefer the size of the Panasonic and the higher video quality, but I am still torn. Does anyone have any first hand experience with them?

I don't plan on diving, but snorkeling is in my future. I also do a lot of canoeing kayaking, etc.

JonnyD91
08/20/2010, 12:52 PM
idk, i just cant see spending 300 bucks for something that can only go in 33 ft of water.

JonnyD91
08/20/2010, 12:55 PM
Have you looked into getting a good quality camera and an underwater case?

fickle1
08/20/2010, 02:01 PM
The thing is, I also like the fact that it is "rugged" I would be afraid to throw a nice camera in my pack and take it around. I have a DLSR for regular use, but I am always afraid of ruining it.

curlykid
08/20/2010, 04:30 PM
any d-slr worth it's value should be more than rugged, most have magnesium bodies for very high falls. should be fine if you get the right housing.

fickle1
08/20/2010, 06:22 PM
any d-slr worth it's value should be more than rugged, most have magnesium bodies for very high falls. should be fine if you get the right housing.

I am pretty sure that mine isn't. I still new at these things and got a used Canon rebel xti from a friend who upgraded. I mainly want something small that I can throw in my pocket or pack and not worry about getting damaged.

curlykid
08/20/2010, 07:44 PM
hmm, not really sure about those. i've got a t2i and it's pretty good with all that. the thing is, p&s are really flimsy too. But, i would go with that panasonic if i had too though.

fickle1
08/21/2010, 03:00 PM
hmm, not really sure about those. i've got a t2i and it's pretty good with all that. the thing is, p&s are really flimsy too. But, i would go with that panasonic if i had too though.

Wow that looks like a sweet camera! I really like the size of the Panasonic. I can throw it in my pocket and it will always be there to take a picture, no matter what the situation. I am just trying to justify the cost. Amazon had them for 299 last month. Would have to wait til they go on sale again.

lbaldrey
08/22/2010, 05:30 AM
The canon housings are unreliable IMHO.

Ive flooded 2 powershots and only 1 of them was probably because I wasnt extremely cautious with debris on the O ring...this doesnt mean that I didnt take proper care while doing the pre-dive checks...still it flooded.

The 2nd one...did all the pre-dive preps and still flooded...lost 2 cameras and threw out the housing.

using olympus with the olympus housing since then and no issues ever after that.

bizzarro
08/22/2010, 06:08 AM
I bought a Pentax W20 many years ago, I have used it in my inground pool and snorkeling trips to St. Thomas, St. John and Hawaii. It was rated for 10' only and I've used it deeper than that and only had some water drops in the battery compartment. For a camera that's that old, I was pleasantly surprised how well the quality of the pictures came out and w/ little post-processing in Photoshop.

I'm looking into getting the Pentax W90 for my trip to Aruba, I was thinking of getting a Canon D10 but the body is too bulky. I don't have any experience with Panasonic or Canon for that matter, I have Nikon equipment. When I'm too lazy to lug around the D200 and lens, I'd take my P&S it's more than adequate for what I need it for.