PDA

View Full Version : What to put on my BB

lolgranny
08/20/2010, 12:24 PM
I have a 40g breeder setup and i was thinking i should put something on the bottom to make sure the glass doesnt get scratched / worry about a rock falling and the tank breaking.

Anyone have some ideas or will it be ok how it is?

Uncle Salty 05
08/20/2010, 12:28 PM
2-3 minches of sand is what I recommend.:lolspin:

Mavrk
08/20/2010, 12:42 PM
2-3 minches of sand is what I recommend.:lolspin:

Beat me to it, but I was going to say a DSB because of the worry about rock falling.:spin1:

But seriously, I don't know since I don't run BB. I don't think there is anything to put down for the falling rock. Coraline algae will help with the scratching.

Uncle Salty 05
08/20/2010, 12:46 PM
I've got to start checking my spelling.
OP is probably wondering what a minch is.:hammer:

lolgranny
08/20/2010, 12:53 PM
Haha.. NOOOOO SANNNDDD. :)

Ive seen people using cutting boards or starboard? Not sure where i can find one. :/

njudson
08/20/2010, 01:51 PM
eggcrate could work and doesn't look half bad once its covered in coralline

lolgranny
08/20/2010, 02:18 PM
eggcrate could work and doesn't look half bad once its covered in coralline

Problem with eggcrate is it catches debris.

Will i be ok with using nothing? after reading some posts everyone says to put something there so it doesnt break. :twitch:

jeff@zina.com
08/20/2010, 02:43 PM
Haha.. NOOOOO SANNNDDD. :)

Ive seen people using cutting boards or starboard? Not sure where i can find one. :/

Cutting boards are in the kitchen section of Walmart. Or any other store. Starboard is generally available at boating stores.

Jeff

lolgranny
08/20/2010, 02:52 PM
Cutting boards are in the kitchen section of Walmart. Or any other store. Starboard is generally available at boating stores.

Jeff

Is it a MUST? will the tank be fine w/o these?

Potsy
08/20/2010, 02:53 PM
I got my 1/4" thick HDPE plastic (cutting board/starboard) from http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23869&clickid=redirect

lolgranny
08/20/2010, 03:08 PM
I got my 1/4" thick HDPE plastic (cutting board/starboard) from http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23869&clickid=redirect

Excellent, i didnt want to spend over 50$ for something like that. Thanks buddy

newtank
08/20/2010, 03:10 PM
I have a 265 DT BB with nothing on the bottom. Seems I'm not OCD enough to care. First of all who cares if it were to get scratched, typically you don't view your tank from the bottom, although if it's bare bottom with a perimeter stand I suppose you could. Also I'm not concerned about rock falling down and breaking the glass, if the tank is full of water that rock is a lot less dangerous, unless it is a really big rock falling from a high place, I would not be concerned about it breaking any thing either. My tank has been BB for about three months and I love it. All the junk that needs removed piles up to be siphoned out, and now coraline colonies are starting to branch out, looks sweet. If your brave try some zoa's, or xenia to carpet the bottom too. possibilities are endless

lolgranny
08/20/2010, 09:03 PM
I have a 265 DT BB with nothing on the bottom. Seems I'm not OCD enough to care. First of all who cares if it were to get scratched, typically you don't view your tank from the bottom, although if it's bare bottom with a perimeter stand I suppose you could. Also I'm not concerned about rock falling down and breaking the glass, if the tank is full of water that rock is a lot less dangerous, unless it is a really big rock falling from a high place, I would not be concerned about it breaking any thing either. My tank has been BB for about three months and I love it. All the junk that needs removed piles up to be siphoned out, and now coraline colonies are starting to branch out, looks sweet. If your brave try some zoa's, or xenia to carpet the bottom too. possibilities are endless

Ya im not concerned about scratches, just it breaking. Thats all that worries me! :-o

reefWW96
08/20/2010, 09:08 PM
you could have some fast growing zoas cover it. they will provide a cushin to anything that falls and repair themselves from damage easily.

MeuserReef
08/20/2010, 10:52 PM
I actually went with BOTH starboard and bare glass...

I made small starboard bases for my rock pillars to sit on top of. Everywhere else in the tank is coralline covered glass.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/Original_Tarheel/Reef/DSC09199.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/Original_Tarheel/Reef/DSC09198.jpg

Here is a shot from when I first setup my 120 gallon (Jan 2009). You can see the starboard easily (its now covered in coralline too :D )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/Original_Tarheel/Reef/Center-1242009.jpg

Nereaga
08/21/2010, 07:39 AM
I have been running BB for a year now and don't run anything on the bottom of the tank, rock on glass, no problems. I have over 100lbs of rock in my 75g tank. Once the bottom is covered in coraline, looks awesome.

If you use sand, 1" or less or 5" or more, anything in between doesn't really help. Just traps detrius.

Brad

SkyPapa
08/21/2010, 08:20 AM
I switched to starboard BB tanks about 10 years ago,.
It was recommended by Bomber, for those who remember him.
I don't think it is really required, but I continue.

I have bought starboard from this guy a few times;
http://www.yachtwindows.com/florida_yacht_king_starboard.html

A 1/4 inch piece for a 40B was about $25 a couple of years ago.

Canadian Reefer
08/21/2010, 08:26 AM
If you are that concerned about falling rock just epoxy them together. I have never run a bb though except in my sumps and fuges where rock isnt going to fall because it just throw in there lol.

Frick-n-Frags
08/21/2010, 08:56 AM
i have never use anything to go under rocks in my BB's. the water really offsets a lot of the rocks' weight. even if one falls, it falls in slow motion due to the water drag.

it's all about the maintenance headaches down the road. you will see, that is the real issue after time passes. clean bottom and just rocks ended up being about the only manageable scheme for me for the long haul, and i tried other things along the way..they all were a PITA to maintain

that being said, i really like those little starboard cutouts up above..heh very neat looking :)

lolgranny
08/22/2010, 12:24 PM
If you are that concerned about falling rock just epoxy them together. I have never run a bb though except in my sumps and fuges where rock isnt going to fall because it just throw in there lol.

Good thinking, i think im going to stick with the BB and just epoxy them all together and stick with the form i start with.