PDA

View Full Version : Did i make a mistake?

WGardiner
08/20/2010, 08:03 PM
Did I make a mistake by adding an emerald crab. I added it to control some algea and now its hanging out on my green birdsnest hoping its not eating it.

TripleT
08/20/2010, 08:04 PM
What kind of algae?

WGardiner
08/20/2010, 08:09 PM
Hair and bubble. I'm more worried of it eating my coral.

Canadian Reefer
08/20/2010, 09:09 PM
He wont eat your coral. there is probably something on the coral he does want to eat though

niftyjosh
08/20/2010, 10:28 PM
He wont eat your coral. there is probably something on the coral he does want to eat though

-1 If they are hungry enough, they will. I have watched one eat a duncan. It was in a part of my tank that I could not get at and tentacle by tentacle it was torn to shreds. A trap of nori and a glass caught it (it was almost the size of a computer mouse). I did feed them nori when I could see them but that is about 2-3 times a week. It is back at the LFS and the other 2 havent touched a single coral (much smaller....one is 1/2 dollar sized and one is slightly larger).

Mikilios
08/21/2010, 02:10 AM
All just part of the learning experience... As much information as anyone could gather about this fish or that crab or something or another shrimp, I am quickly coming to understand that they all have their own "quirks" and characteristics. 9 out of 10 emerald crabs might be completely reef safe, and then you get the one who just wont cooperate and grows a liking to something he shouldn't be eating.

WGardiner
08/21/2010, 04:58 AM
Ok I'll keep an eye on it and put it in the fuge if I have to. Thanks all.

chimmike
08/21/2010, 07:33 AM

not true.

I had two different emerald craps munch on $60 SPS frags. Caught 'em both red-handed, twice.

They didn't last in my tank.

The ONLY reef safe crab that I can find through my research is the porcelain crab, because it doesn't feed using its claws.
All others-the risk is always there. Opportunity feeders.

UnknownFish
08/21/2010, 07:41 AM
I watched an emerald crab munch on kenya tree coral in my old 75, when I upgraded to the 180 I get rid of all emerald crabs!

WGardiner
08/21/2010, 07:58 AM
If I want to get him out of the tank, whats the best way to catch it?

thebkramer
08/21/2010, 08:48 AM
Emeralds are a hit or miss for everyone :(
I've never had any problems with emeralds over the years.. BUT others have.
Yes they can aggravate corals because they do like to get on them and then scrape off any algae that may be growing on them, or they are trying to eat the coral.. grrr

To catch him: You could attempt to just go in and grab him if he is in a spot where he can't run and hide.. of course lol I've also used the cup method. I put a coffee cup tilted next to his day "spot" with some frozen food inside. They crawl in.. but can't get out.