PDA

View Full Version : DSB, add addtl detrius feeders?

Ohio
08/21/2010, 12:14 PM
hello all, i read the DSB tread and have just a couple of addtl ?s.

i have a 46bow front with 30g sump/fuge. my display tank has less than 2in substrate and the fuge is about 5in DSB mainly figi mud and a little live sand. my research indicated that nothing should be kept in the fuge that disturbs the DSB or it would stop the denitrafication process from working properly. as i am reading here it appears that some additional specimens should be added to the fuge. i do not want to find myself in a situation with toxic levels in the fuge sand.

I have been catching bristle worms from my display and flushing them. should i move them to my fuge instead. Do you have any other recommendations for my fuge? I am also growing algea in my fuge to also reduce nitrates and feed to my tang, so I don't want to put anything in there that will eat too much of my algea.

Any other advise is also greatly appreciated, Jenn

thebkramer
08/21/2010, 12:17 PM
I don't know much about this.. but I would like to ask why are you catching and flushing bristleworms? They are a great addition to a reef tank? Unless of course they get way to big.. but then I still like them lol

Ohio
08/21/2010, 12:29 PM
Well i have a huge supply of them, way more than I would like and had read that they would munch on coral. is this not true?

thebkramer
08/21/2010, 12:33 PM
I have never heard of that. Bristleworms are oportunistc feeders, but are great at taking care of left over food, dead snails, hermits, etc. and eating detritus in sandbed and in rocks. I have many in my tank and have never had any issues other than the occasional run in with my starry blenny. He likes to bite them when they get to close to him.. then he ends up with bristles all over his face lol
I am not saying you shouldn't do what you are.. I was just curious why :) If you feel you have too many.. then by all means flush em! :D But they shouldn't be a problem for you with your corals

Jstdv8
08/21/2010, 12:51 PM
Add bristleworms :P

Ohio
08/21/2010, 12:52 PM
thanks for the info. i will definitely leave them in if they are not going to pose a problem. i did enjoy watching them and at first read that they were good for the tank. then i did some research on LR hitchhikers and found the opposite. i think i will take a fellow reefers opinion about this over what i read. experience is what counts and i have only been at this a few months

thebkramer
08/21/2010, 01:13 PM
I would.. and most reefers here will agree.. to keep the Bristles :D
I hope someone with experience with DSB will answer your original question soon enough!
Where'd they go? :lmao: