PDA

View Full Version : A question regarding live rock arrangement

Kahuna
08/21/2010, 09:35 PM
I got all of my live rock today and a little yesterday. Today, I picked up a lot of branch-type Timoran rock, and because of the amount of rock in my tank, is it OK to stack rock against the back wall of the tank?

Kev

RcToners
08/21/2010, 09:42 PM
I got all of my live rock today and a little yesterday. Today, I picked up a lot of branch-type Timoran rock, and because of the amount of rock in my tank, is it OK to stack rock against the back wall of the tank?

Kev

I would simply advise against it. Could cause cleaning issues, build and so on.

Kahuna
08/21/2010, 09:54 PM
I would simply advise against it. Could cause cleaning issues, build and so on.

What's the best way to ensure stability of the rock? I broke a beautiful arch while using a 1/4" masory bit for pinning.:rolleye1: The underwater epoxy seems to not work so great. Zip tie it together?

Thanks.

Kev

RcToners
08/21/2010, 11:40 PM
What's the best way to ensure stability of the rock? I broke a beautiful arch while using a 1/4" masory bit for pinning.:rolleye1: The underwater epoxy seems to not work so great. Zip tie it together?

Thanks.

Kev

It depends on what size your rocks are and if they are already in the tank. When doing my aquascape I attempted to change a few things around while the rock was in the tank, I tried using the epoxy putty such as jb water weld and a few others and honestly that stuff is terrible unles you have dry rock outside of the tank and small pieces. Most of my rocks are 20lbs plus and 22 inches tall or so, that epoxy simply doesnt cut it. I used a 3/4 inch mason bit for the large rocks and a smaller 1/4 inch bit for the smaller rock. You can build a pvc frame and depending on the rock size drill. For smaller rocks acrylic rods work well. You can use a combination of superglue gel and epoxy to attach the rock to the rods or pvc. I would stay away from zip ties because they do break down over about 3 years. There is also another 2 part epoxy you can use that is not putty but the rock needs to be out of the tank and the eposy needs time to set.

thegrun
08/22/2010, 08:03 AM
I do it all the time. As long as you leave some room for water flow, there will not be an issue. You may scratch the back wall, but unless you have future plans for having it in a location where that matters, proceed. I would avoid placing a large amount of weight leaning on the glass, but normal stacking with some pressure will be fine.

Palting
08/22/2010, 08:45 AM
I have no issues with placing rocks against the back wall. I have even seen people make the whole back wall a rock wall.

bnumair
08/22/2010, 10:39 AM
i used foam to stick my rocks togather and also a pvc structure to keep them stable. i place a korillia 3 behind the rock wall facing left to right to keep the back swept of debris. then build ur aquascape around it infront.

Michael
08/22/2010, 10:41 AM
ive seen world class tanks with rock against the glass, ive always tried to avoid doing so personally because i can get a algae scraper behind the rocks and the water flows better imo, but my tank is pants compaired to a few ive seen with rocks touching the glass, so its not cut into stone.

drummereef
08/22/2010, 10:44 AM
I like keeping the rocks away from all sides for the sake of easy cleaning. Also makes it easy to vacuum the sand if you use a shallow sand bed.

Kahuna
08/22/2010, 08:08 PM
Well, thanks for all of the advice. I'll keep all of this in mind once I start on my 225g, which is used and in the garage. All of my rock is now in; I had 35 lbs too much and had to get rid of it. No pins, no glues, everything appears to be very stable. I shook the tank as much as I thought safe and no shifting. No shifting when I put heavy downward pressure on the stack.

I did get burnt by a huge bristleworm, tho. Little son of a bob-tailed hyena...

Kev

RcToners
08/22/2010, 09:11 PM
Well, thanks for all of the advice. I'll keep all of this in mind once I start on my 225g, which is used and in the garage. All of my rock is now in; I had 35 lbs too much and had to get rid of it. No pins, no glues, everything appears to be very stable. I shook the tank as much as I thought safe and no shifting. No shifting when I put heavy downward pressure on the stack.

I did get burnt by a huge bristleworm, tho. Little son of a bob-tailed hyena...

Kev

Your rock can appear as stable as it wants to and that unfortunitly means nothing. One hermit or fish decides to dig under a rock and whamo down goes the stack. I would suggest something to keep that from being in your near future. I was probly over worried about rocks crashing down so I drilled then and used 3/4 pvc with epoxy, I built frames to have them raised off the sand. Here is just a quick shot to give you an idea.

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv207/rctoners/newaquariumpics015.jpg
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv207/rctoners/newaquariumpics012.jpg
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv207/rctoners/newaquariumpics002.jpg

steelhead77
08/22/2010, 09:22 PM
Your rock can appear as stable as it wants to and that unfortunitly means nothing. One hermit or fish decides to dig under a rock and whamo down goes the stack. I would suggest something to keep that from being in your near future. I was probly over worried about rocks crashing down so I drilled then and used 3/4 pvc with epoxy, I built frames to have them raised off the sand. Here is just a quick shot to give you an idea.

This is why it's always best to begin your rock work with base rock set directly on the bottom of the tank and pour sand around it rather than setting your rock on top of the sand. If you do this, often times you can fit your rock together like a jigsaw puzzle and make it as stable as if it's glued together - perhaps even more. I'd rather not rely on glue that may or may not be reliable 6 months down the road.

albano
08/22/2010, 09:29 PM
Your rock can appear as stable as it wants to and that unfortunitly means nothing. One hermit or fish decides to dig under a rock and whamo down goes the stack. I would suggest something to keep that from being in your near future.

that's the reason, to place the rockwork directly on the bottom of the tank (or raised with legs, placed directly on the bottom) and THEN add the sand...much more stable!
BEFORE
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/gallery/files/3/2/2/7/first_rock_007.jpg

AFTER
<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JuvhYs8vH90?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>