PDA

View Full Version : Nu-Clear 533 Canister Filter

rinconmike
08/22/2010, 06:25 PM
I have a Nu-Clear Canister Filter. My LFS said to clean it around every 3 months or when the PSI gauge hits 10.

They also said to clean it I will need to rinse the dirty cartridge with a hose, or sprayer in the sink and then bleach the cartridge overnight in a bucket with four gallons of water and a half cup of bleach. Then rinse the cartridge and soak overnight in plain tap water. Make sure to let the cartridge dry completely before reuse.

I plan on having a second cartridge on hand when I clean the first.

Does anyone have experience with these and can they comment on the above? How often should I clean it and what is the best way to clean it?

FYI, the system I am using it on is a 150gallon fish only. I have around 30 gallon sump with bioballs. In the sump I have an Octopus XP2000sss skimmer. Leaving the sump is a Blueline 55 external pump. I tee off the pump to go the the tank returns and then the canister filter. After the canister filter I go to a chiller and then from the chiller back into the sump.

I also plan on adding a BFS Jumbo reactor to run GFO. I will Tee the reactor off the line coming out of the chiller and then back into the sump as well.

Also in the sump I have a back of carbon in a sock. LFS said it is just easier to put it in there than the canister filter, but I might add a reactor for that.

So far water quality is good with the exception of Phosphates. That is why I plan on running GFO. I do use RO/DI water (air, water, ice setup) and think the phosphates are from the frozen food.

thanks,

Mike

rinconmike
08/23/2010, 06:11 AM
Also, anyone running carbon in the canister filter? the 533 is advertised to run carbon, but my LFS said it is a pain to change and recommended right in the sump. I might get a second reactor for that since the BFS reactors seem simple to change out media.

thanks

rinconmike
08/26/2010, 04:02 AM
Anyone use a Nu-clear filter?

Uncle Salty 05
08/26/2010, 08:12 AM
I have seen them in catalogs but have never used one.
They look like they would be great for mechaincal filtration but anything running for more than two weeks starts to become biological and begins producing nitrate.
If I were you I would just rinse well with RO/DI water weekly.

rinconmike
08/26/2010, 01:48 PM
thanks