PDA

View Full Version : help with maracyn and anemone

doork
08/22/2010, 07:35 PM
Well I was told and given the appropriate amount of maracyn to start and kill the cyano in my tank and after 2 days of having my protein skimmer off (which you are supposed to do) my RBTA looks pink and is a 1/4 of the size is normally is, the tentacles are all shriveled and skinny. I don' tknow what is going on. Should I have not even messed with maracyn? 75 gallon tank, water params were fine, 4x54 T5HO. Help!

slapshot
08/22/2010, 07:40 PM
Its fine. they do that once and awhile. I have done my tank several times with no affects what-so-ever on my anemones.

Fishamatank
08/22/2010, 07:41 PM
Generally antibiotics are a last resort for treating cyano. You can wind up with antibiotic resistant "super cyano" They can wipe out your biological filtration and start a cycle as well, or so I've heard anyway.

How long have you had the nem? Have you seen all of the different things it does? My 10" LTA will occasionally shrink down so small I can barely see it in the rocks. It does not necessarily mean any thing is wrong.

Toddrtrex
08/22/2010, 07:50 PM
I would not say that the anemone is fine if it is now pink --- it has expelled some of its internal algae and is starting to bleach.

What are the numbers behind "fine" for your parameters?

I would do a water change, turn on your skimmer and run fresh carbon. I have never been a fan of any red slime remover -- need to address the root cause, or it will just come back.

doork
08/22/2010, 08:33 PM
Well, I thought using this maracyn was going to the core of where cyano comes from...How else do you kill this problem? I have had the anem for only about a month, so I don't know if I have seen everything (obviously I have not). It just freaked me out, I had never seen him like that before. My problem is nuisance green kind of furry algae on my back wall and around the edges of my tank. The guy from the LFS told me to use this maracyn, turn off the protein skimmer for 2 days and than my phosphate would just remove all the stuff. He thought it was cyano, I really don't know what it is. Every time I do a water change I scrape it off the back wall and within a couple of days it has grown back. I need some help

Fishamatank
08/22/2010, 08:56 PM
That is likely not cyano, it is probably just GHA. Sounds like your LFS is taking you for a ride.
Regardless of what it is the problem is nutrients. You need to to do more water changes, feed less, skim wetter, etc... find a way to reduce the nitrates and phosphates. Run phos ban and carbon as well, maybe put a light on the sump and get some chaeto.
Test your water for nitrates and phosphates.