PDA

View Full Version : Maglife Nitrastrate ?? dose it work? sounds interesting!

chris88
08/22/2010, 10:35 PM
I am wondering if this stuff actually works. There is a youtube video about it and the science behind it makes sense. Basically it is a plastic bead with microscopic pores which allow denitrfying bacteria to culture it and do thier thing. Here is a link and the statement that is written with the product.

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp17965/si4352784/cl0/nitrastrateblue1000count

Looking for an affordable product that lowers the nitrate levels in your aquarium, thus improving water quality and reducing the amount of required maintenance? Maglife USA brings you NitraStrate; a special polymer (plastic) bead made to be almost neutrally buoyant and porous. The size and shape of each NitraStrate particle allows the maximum empty space between them. The combination of these factors creates a sphere that allows nitrate loaded water to slowly saturate the NitraStrate particles. The anaerobic bacteria within the bead consume the nitrates to create compounds which, when they emerge, oxidize and release harmless Nitrogen gas. NitraStrate Completes the Nitrogen Cycle. The environment formed by the NitraStrate traps all the waste in pockets that act as biological stomachs. Due to the large empty spaces between particles, these pockets become the perfect environment for beneficial bacteria to thrive and colonize. The problem area of the tank is now the life force of the tank. The substrate becomes a revolutionary filtration system that makes fish keeping what it should be, fun & relaxing!

bertoni
08/22/2010, 10:43 PM
This product sounds like another artificial live rock media. It might work, although the amount of media needed might be very large. There's no reason such an approach shouldn't work, although the size of the pores might be critical.

chris88
08/22/2010, 10:57 PM
It's basically the same thing as a deep sand bed or good live rock that is pores. I was going to chuck it in my sump because it would not look great in a main display. They don't post any research on thier website but they do say its patented technology with optimal pore size and it doesnt degrade. Has anyone ever tried this or something similar?

builderguy
08/23/2010, 10:32 AM
I use SeaChem's DeNitrate...it's not plastic, but same concept...it works pretty well.

chris88
08/23/2010, 12:36 PM
do you put it in your sand bed, sump, or some other set up?

bertoni
08/23/2010, 01:19 PM
I would run it in a reactor like a PhosBan setup or something similar. It's like live rock, and will need decent flow through it to avoid problems.

chris88
08/23/2010, 01:30 PM
good point i think i will try it in a reactor