PDA

View Full Version : New Nano Tank Suggestions (first post)

Atom0023
08/23/2010, 10:00 PM
I am in the process of purchasing an all in one style nano tank.

Here is what I think I should build off of my research but was looking for some suggestions off of experience.

Tank total 30.5 gallons:

22 L (left to right from front) 16 w (back to front) and 20 inch tall.

22 x 12 show area.

22 x 4 drain area, fuge, and return.

Chiller 1/10:

Jbj Arctica Titanium Chiller DBA-075

Protein skimmer:

Tunze Nano DOC Protein Skimmer 9002

Power head:

Mp10

Lighting I was think LED but not sure what I should get. Looking to do a mixed reef sps and anemone. I just want to have enough power to do whatever I end up choosing.

What else do I need?

mike_cmu04
08/24/2010, 12:25 AM
Welcome that is some good equiptment to start with. If you go with led's you probably will not need a chiller which will save some money.

artemus
08/24/2010, 06:49 AM
Are you going to get RO/DI, dosing equipment or manual dose? I also agree about the chiller. You may want to test your tank before getting one but wouldn't hurt to have one either.

Atom0023
08/24/2010, 07:39 PM
Are you going to get RO/DI, dosing equipment or manual dose? I also agree about the chiller. You may want to test your tank before getting one but wouldn't hurt to have one either.

I think that means reverse osmosis and distilled. I think for a tank this size I will just buy the water from the fish store.

However, I have been contemplating buying a salt water tank for about a month now. Should I go small or big.

I thought I had a good idea with this set up. But I am not sure now. I have a 130 gallon fresh water tank. I have some experience with mixing chemicals for pools. I am patient and follow directions. Just don't know which way to go. Thanks.

Jormungandr
08/24/2010, 07:49 PM
Should I go small or big.

It really depends. If you bigger, it will be easier because you water parameters will be a lot more stable. The more water means more dilution and more stability. For example, fish waste will add up quickly in a smaller tank which means more nitrates. If you have a larger tank, the fish waste will be more dilluted and there will be less nitrate. Many recommend go with the biggest tank you can afford and that you have room for. I say go for it! and besides, once you get addicted, you may find that the tank size you have (if you go with a smaller tank) is too small for you and you will need more room with to do with it what you wish. Also, don't forget to think about lighting, as that is an important aspect of a tank that you havent listed :)

Atom0023
08/24/2010, 07:58 PM
It really depends. If you bigger, it will be easier because you water parameters will be a lot more stable. The more water means more dilution and more stability. For example, fish waste will add up quickly in a smaller tank which means more nitrates. If you have a larger tank, the fish waste will be more dilluted and there will be less nitrate. Many recommend go with the biggest tank you can afford and that you have room for. I say go for it! and besides, once you get addicted, you may find that the tank size you have (if you go with a smaller tank) is too small for you and you will need more room with to do with it what you wish. Also, don't forget to think about lighting, as that is an important aspect of a tank that you havent listed :)

OK, I have read this on here before. Now, what if I can afford a 180 or 280. I want something 72 inch long. Would that still be a wise first tank?