PDA

View Full Version : Commercial 2 parts

TampaSnooker
08/24/2010, 05:47 PM
I've been a fan of ESV's B-Ionic for years but have recently noticed alk and mag dropping in some tanks that have been dosing regularly for years. Does anyone know if they changed the concentrations?

How about your favorite commercial 2 part?

Doobze
08/24/2010, 06:40 PM
Tank demands aren't static, I'd be willing to bet that those tanks have just grown out more and now require more supplementation.

bertoni
08/24/2010, 09:04 PM
I haven't heard that the concentration has changed. I agree that the tanks might just be using more alkalinity and magnesium. What kind of drops are you seeing?

TampaSnooker
08/24/2010, 10:06 PM
I heard rumor of a change through a wholesaler I deal with. I have better notes on Ca and KH for most tanks (I'm a service guy) and most are mixed softies and LPS. Equal dosages that used to keep tanks at 400 Ca/10 dkh are now leaving tanks at 400 Ca with only 7 dkh. I increase dosages as corals mature - just noticed that the product is not giving the same balance. I have better mag notes on my own tanks which get fewer water changes, but the ones with B Ionic are not holding as high mag levels. I don't typically test client's for mag unless Ca is out of whack since they get water changes regularly.

TampaSnooker
08/24/2010, 10:07 PM
Also, I have noticed this trend on newer tanks as well as mature ones.

bertoni
08/24/2010, 10:17 PM
Well, you could test the new mix against this calculator:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

It uses the old concentration numbers.

TampaSnooker
08/24/2010, 10:54 PM
Good idea. Test, dose, test again and compare results to expected results.