PDA

View Full Version : Precipitation problem !

MARKTHESHARK
08/25/2010, 11:30 AM
I am getting a white chalky looking substance all over the glass in my entire tank 125gal, all my parameters seem to be o.k., could I be adding too much b-ionic and when will it go away. I am afraid at one time I added too much b-ionic, and now this stuff is caked in all my lines. Please help !

jbanks
08/25/2010, 11:34 AM
Check your Ph probe.. It may be faulty showing a much lower than normal reading.. It sounds like are probably experiencing calcium precip. This happened to me in the past with a faulty probe.. I tried my best to raise the ph without realizing that the tank was fine and when the ph reached a certain point.. The snow began..

MARKTHESHARK
08/25/2010, 11:42 AM
I have not checked ph in a while, because probe is screwed up, but ca, alk, and mag is in check and every couple days i have to scrape back and sides of tank.

bertoni
08/25/2010, 11:51 AM
Checking the pH is a good idea. I'd get a second opinion on the alkalinity and calcium kits, too, since we see a lot of problems with them. What are the levels now?

MARKTHESHARK
08/25/2010, 11:54 AM
Ca is 420 alk 8.2 mag 1450 dosing 200ml of b-ionic into 250 gal water volume.

bertoni
08/25/2010, 12:40 PM
Are you dosing the B-Ionic into the display tank or into a smaller sump? Dosing into a smaller sump might encourage precipitation.

outy
08/25/2010, 04:59 PM
my tank has been doing the same thing, I posted and asked for help. someone posted a 4 year old post of mine with the same problem im having now [i forgot about it lol]

anyway both tanks are new as in tore down and new DSB's added and all glass was cleaned completely.

I attribute mine to new tank breaking in, despite my LR and sump being old and no cycle was detected. mine passed quickly and ive already notice my new tank now is slowing down with the white growth.

it will pass soon and it does not last long