PDA

View Full Version : anyone know a predator for brown polyps

ijw
08/25/2010, 02:46 PM
I have mainly an lps tank. Someone gave me some brown polyps and I threw them in there not knowing how they take over your entire tank. They try to grow everywhere they can connect to and there isn't lps to sting them. Anyone know of a predator I can get to keep them in check/kill them? It would be a real chore pulling out every rock and eliminating them but it may be my only option. Someone said sundial snails but I think it would take an army of them to eliminate them.

footballdude2k3
08/25/2010, 02:48 PM
you could take a chance with a zoa eating nudibranch, good look if you have anything else it might like though, if they breed and get out of control you would likely have a bigger issue than you started with.

kcooley
08/25/2010, 03:15 PM
just paste em with kalk paste or joes juice.

TampaSnooker
08/25/2010, 04:03 PM
I doubt that you will want to go this route but I just noticed a Kenya Tree was doing a nice job irritating some brown palys to death. When its job is done, they rip off the rock pretty easily.

sevendigitcake
08/25/2010, 04:26 PM
ive always read that angels love zoas, depending on the size of your tank you could always try an angel from the genus holacanthus or pomacanthus

zachfishman
08/29/2010, 02:30 PM
ive always read that angels love zoas, depending on the size of your tank you could always try an angel from the genus holacanthus or pomacanthus

Everyone knows angels only eat zoos that are both pretty and expensive. lol.

I had some brown zoas with green skirts taking over my system a couple years ago (seriously thought they'd cover every single hard surface), but then they all just shriveled away over a period of a year. Fantastically, my pretty orange zoas were unaffected. Don't know what caused it, didn't see anything on the polyps (like fungus) out of the ordinary; and I suspect that if I had sundials or nudis I would've lost my orange zoas too.

Try dropping your Mg to 800, that coincided with the brown zoas stopping. (and everything else lol).

therman
08/29/2010, 09:50 PM
Injecting with vinegar works pretty well. Also might want to try the "electrocuting majanos" device. Google it to find the thread here.