PDA

View Full Version : Mantis ID

mleister
08/25/2010, 05:10 PM
The only mantis shrimp my LFS could order in for me was Odontodactylus scyllarus. I was hesitant to order one in due to molting issues I've heard of but went ahead and placed an order. When I picked it up I immediately knew it wasn't as labeled, I really didn't care as all I cared about was getting an interactive species. After looking at him at home I'm thinking its Gonodactylus chiragra. Can anyone confirm this? It's close to 4 inches. If so I hear they are very reclusive and rarely seen out of the hide, is this true?

Thanks for looking,

Matt

ritter6788
08/25/2010, 05:27 PM
That does look like a chiragra to me. Mine was smaller than yours but I did see him out of the burrow a lot but would hide if I got close to the tank. It was a very aggressive feeder though and I could get it to come out with a bare feeding stick and he would attack it.

leshnign
08/25/2010, 06:26 PM
It's a G.Chiragra...def not as active as an O.Scyllarus, but cool nun the less. I had one a few years ago, and he was pretty reclusive. He'd only come out at feeding time. You never know though, yours may be the life of the party. :dance:

Gonodactylus
08/26/2010, 09:04 AM
It is a female G. chiragra.

Roy