PDA

View Full Version : Yellow watchman goby --found after 2 months--

elPescador24
08/25/2010, 10:30 PM
After losing sight of my YWG about two months ago, I found him tonite in the 3rd chamber of my tank where the stock return pump is at. How do I get him out? It is a small nc6. My small net does not fit back there. Is it easy to remove the pump out of the way? I know it is probably a dumb question, but I am new to this.

scubasteve06
08/25/2010, 10:37 PM
I've heard of watchmen gobies going overflow surfing before but not getting wedged in a 6 gallon nano's bio chamber lol you got a pic of him wedged in there? I just got a orange spotted watchmen today. I only have 2" of sand right now but a lot of rock rubble for him to build his burrow with. Once I get the tank moved here in 5 days I am going to start over with a newer 3-4" sand bed almost getting on the deep side. Mine is good size too around 3-3.5".

MandM
08/25/2010, 11:00 PM
You can remove the pump, just be careful not to freak him out, he will leap out of there.
FIRST, unplug the pump.
Remove the flow nozzle from the display (front) side of the back wall. Then gently pull back on the elbow tube that goes in from the back chamber. The pump is attached at the bottom. Lift slowly, it may come off the pump at the bottom if you twist it a bit. If it does, that will leave the pump at the bottom and enough room for a small net or a small hand to scoop out the fish. If the tube stays attached to the pump, it will force the fish up toward the surface. Be ready for him to jump. Worst case, the fish gets in below the pump. Hold the pump up by the power cord to avoid squashing him. it takes a bit of wiggling to get the pump out of the chamber sometimes. They got it in there, it will come out. Good luck!

elPescador24
08/25/2010, 11:02 PM
Can not get a good pic, but he is looking skinny. I put some pellets in there. There is very little room in there, so I am going to attempt to remove the pump....

MandM
08/25/2010, 11:03 PM
It's a good idea to remove the pump every month or so and clean it with RODI. It helps keep water flowing well and you never know what/who you will find back there. My snails and hermit go exploring now and then.

elPescador24
08/25/2010, 11:05 PM
thank you MandM!! I am going to do it right now!!

footballdude2k3
08/26/2010, 07:33 AM
did you get him out?

Whisperer
08/26/2010, 08:47 AM
Mine lived in my overflow for a long time until I decided to empty it out to get him back to the DT. He is bigger now and can't get through the gap on the return pipe.

elPescador24
08/26/2010, 09:07 AM
Yellow WG is now released from solitary confinement!!! Hs is in a little shock as it did take a while to get him out but looks better than I thought, not skinny at all! It was super easy to remove the pump, now I'm going to upgrade to a better one this weekend!! thanks everybody!

Tony78
08/26/2010, 09:18 AM
Nice work on the rescue mission.

HAMsmith
08/26/2010, 10:51 AM
I had a yellow rose goby that did that all the time in my AP24. There is a company that makes custom pieces to fill the gap between the back wall and the lid...however I can't remember the name of the company! It shouldn't be too difficult to DIY a barrier though.

MandM
08/26/2010, 11:46 PM
Glad you were able to get him out. They're cute little buggers.