PDA

View Full Version : How long to keep tank at Hyposalinity to get rid of White spot

ziyaadb
08/26/2010, 12:33 AM
so my Angel and tang have WS. I do not have a tank that i can setup for a QT.I do not have the space either. My idea now is to buy all my fish at once. Have the tank at hypo salinity to get rid of all the ws and once that is complete slowly increase the salinity and start stocking up on the corals.
what would be the best salinity to get rid of WS?
How long should i have the salinity at that value for?
Any other advise?
Once i buy all the fish i will do regular waterchanges( every 2 days if not daily) as well as dose stability.

I know that this is not an ideal situation but i would rather have a bare tank now and healthy fish later on.

Recty
08/26/2010, 12:39 AM
1.009 for salinity, it's low enough the fish can tolerate it but the ich cannot.

Most people recommend 8 weeks, I personally would and have done it for 12 weeks when I wanted to be sure the ich was gone.

LukFox
08/26/2010, 12:55 AM
Your plan likely won't work anyway... Corals, or anything wet for that matter, can carry in free floating ich. You don't just need to quarantine fish if you are serious about keeping disease out of your tank.

ziyaadb
08/26/2010, 12:59 AM
Your plan likely won't work anyway... Corals, or anything wet for that matter, can carry in free floating ich. You don't just need to quarantine fish if you are serious about keeping disease out of your tank.
:eek1:
Can you please explain in more detail then what would i need to do?

LukFox
08/26/2010, 01:14 AM
You can hypo your fish as you plan to, and then keep your corals/inverts/new rock in a fishless aquarium or bin for 8-12 weeks before putting them in the display. If you add something new to the bin, the time period needs to be restarted. After this time period, the parasites will die with no available host. Obviously for corals you'll need decent lighting, but if the bins are small enough it shouldn't be too bad. It seems like a lot of work, but you don't have to do one at a time at least.

ziyaadb
08/26/2010, 01:25 AM
oooh ok i get you. Thanks man.

namxas
08/26/2010, 08:20 AM
Be careful with your pH in the hypo tank...you may need to buffer it.

Stuart60611
08/26/2010, 09:16 AM
I would add that hypo provides extremely little room for error to be effective. If you keep your salinity too low, fish die. If you keep your salinity too high, ich survives (need to keep salinity constantly at 1.009-10). Also, you need to stay in hypo long enough or ich survives (8-10 weeks). A tough remedy to effectuate correctly b/c there is so little margin for error. As such, you need to be absolutely sure your refractometer is properly calibrated, or you will be otherwise wasting your time.