PDA

View Full Version : What to expect with bigger sump

gowingsgo
08/26/2010, 09:31 AM
So This weekend I will be moving my sump/fuge to my basement. I have purchased a large 150 gallon tub that I plan to use as my new sump. My water volume will go from about 160 gallons to about 250 gallons. I will need to add a lot more live rock but plan to do this over several months. So I don't go threw a new cycle in my tank. I will also have to invest in a bigger skimmer but wont be able to do that for at least two months. so my question is will this have any bad effect on my display tank. Has anyone her done this?
Thanks

greech
08/26/2010, 11:46 AM
Maybe I am missing something because I have never run a SW system of that size but why do you need a lot more LR and a bigger skimmer? Are you increasing the bioload as a result of adding the larger sump? I can't think of any negatives with adding more water to a system. Maybe you will need larger or more heaters?

If adding LR is a must, I would just make sure it is cured and would cure it in a separate container unless you can buy fully cured rock from a trusted source.

gowingsgo
08/26/2010, 12:05 PM
I was thinking that the skimmer I have is rated for about 150 gallons so it would not skim as well. No I do not plan on adding any fish. I just want a more stable system that is why I was adding the extra water volume. I did not think about the heaters. I will pick sum up this weekend. The extra rock was just foe more filtration. A big plus for me also is by having the sump in the basement is I wont have to lug buckets of water up the steps for water changes. Any thoughts on this would be great
Thanks

scubasteve06
08/26/2010, 12:37 PM
If your not adding any bio-load to the tank and your adding more water it will actually help to stabilize the parameters in the tank. This is the main reason people have big sumps.