PDA

View Full Version : Dc4 hd

birmjam
08/27/2010, 08:12 AM
Would this accessory help with the reduction of ballast "noise" that is currently causing my GFCI to trip? I have a Powermoduly 8x54 fixture.

Thanks,

kenargo
08/27/2010, 09:31 AM
I have doubts that this would help but I've never heard of 'ballast noise' causing a GFCI to trip. The HD is basically a DCx with all 4 outlets being relay controlled.

birmjam
08/27/2010, 09:55 AM
I've never heard of 'ballast noise' causing a GFCI to trip.

Pease refer to Uncleof6's response in the thread below. Thanks for the info on the DC4, wishful thinking on my part.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1870526

aquamanic
08/27/2010, 01:38 PM
That's an interesting thread. I know from experience that if I start both my MH ballasts at the same time, I will trip my GFCI outlet. If I stagger them by 1 minute, I don't. I would think that if the issue was electronic noise, then staggering them wouldn't matter. If the issue was the sudden, large current inrush, then staggering them would matter. However, there is much anecdotal data on the electronic noise on MH wires causing issues with probes so I suppose it's possible.

birmjam
08/27/2010, 01:47 PM
The main problem I have is the GFCI trips well into the lighting cycle. Both my PM ballasts start simultaneously and that hasn't been a trip issue. I wonder if it has to do with heat buildup over a period of time as it seems to always trip around the same time each night after the ballast have been on for hours.