PDA

View Full Version : Ordering a ATI fixture....how much is *too much* for LPS?

JG1
08/27/2010, 09:07 PM
Ok, having a 48x24x18 starphire rimless tank built by Miracles.

Tank will be a mixed reef...I love SPS but I can't give up my LPS either and I want the LPS to thrive under this lighting. Circulation will be two MP40's, one on each end, using a master/slave mode prob running a throttled back reefcrest.

Was planning on ordering the 48" 8 bulb PowerModule.
I was thinking:
(front)
Blue +
Fiji Purple
True actinic
AquaBlue Special
Blue +
AquaBlue Special
Blue +
True actinic

This gonna be too much for LPS? 6 bulbs better? Here's the thing, I don't want my lighting choice to limit me in what SPS I can have or where I place them, but on the other hand I don't want to NOT be able to keep certain corals because the light is too intense.

HELP! :(

JG1
08/27/2010, 09:16 PM
Would I be better off with a 6 bulb fixture, something like this?
(front)
AquaBlue Special
Blue +
True actinic
AquaBlue Special
Blue +
True actinic

08/28/2010, 12:34 AM
6 bulb with mixed reef.

mscarpena
08/28/2010, 08:32 AM
Call the company and ask them the par output of that light fixture with your bulb combination. I say 6 bulb, but then again you are talking a lot of blue light so you maybe able to go 8. You would just need to acclimate your LPS to the lighting. There are people that run 2 x 250 watt MH on a 75 mixed reef.

adambirk
08/28/2010, 10:49 AM
those fixtures put out a ton of par. alot more than 2 250watt halides. i would go with an 8 bulb fixture though. you can always rasie it up and put more attinic bulbs or bulbs with less par. i think you could do a 6 bulb and be totally fine but if you get the 8 bulb you will never have to worry about lighting. jmo.

also be very carefull when you put that new fixture on your tank regardless of what one you choose. they really do put out alot of light. when i switched from my 2 250watt halides to my constillation 7bulb t5 fixture i fried about every coral in my tank. it will be very easy to bleach corals under that fixture till they get aclimated. so go slow with the photo period.

-adam

drtrash
08/28/2010, 11:13 AM
Depends on your LPS's. If no SPS and you want to do mostly branching type(torch...) and acans get a 6. You could take 2 bulbs out if needed. I have a 6 on a mixed reef and its alittle too much for acans but great for rest. It may be alittle too much for some SPS also. 8 is an overkill IMO. Could raise it but then it fills the room with too much scattered light. I have a 6x24 sunpower on 36"x20x20 tank.

JG1
08/28/2010, 02:18 PM
those fixtures put out a ton of par. alot more than 2 250watt halides. i would go with an 8 bulb fixture though. you can always rasie it up and put more attinic bulbs or bulbs with less par. i think you could do a 6 bulb and be totally fine but if you get the 8 bulb you will never have to worry about lighting. jmo.

also be very carefull when you put that new fixture on your tank regardless of what one you choose. they really do put out alot of light. when i switched from my 2 250watt halides to my constillation 7bulb t5 fixture i fried about every coral in my tank. it will be very easy to bleach corals under that fixture till they get aclimated. so go slow with the photo period.

-adam

I was planning on doing this bulb combo but scared it would be too much...thats why the previous post I put in a few actinics to cut down on the par......but I'd really like to run this:

Front
Blue +
Fiji Purple
Blue +
KZ New Generation
Blue +
KZ New Generation
Blue +
Blue +

Really though, the tank will be mostly SPS.....I do want a few very nice scolymia's, acans, blasto's....I will put these on sand bed level but just scared the light will be too much.

I have NO corals as of now....completely starting over haven't had a tank in 5 years. I was planning on running the fixture about 6" above the tank.

drtrash
08/28/2010, 04:08 PM
Way too much for most acans, unless you like brown & purple with alittle green.

JG1
08/28/2010, 04:35 PM
Way too much for most acans, unless you like brown & purple with alittle green.

So you would say:

Front
Blue +
Blue +
KZ Fiji purple
KZ New Generation or AB Special
Blue +
Blue +

JG1
08/28/2010, 05:24 PM
Just browsing the board I found some nice tanks that are running 8 bulb T5 fixtures with some nice LPS.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/Aquarium_Naturae/Reef/829b5341.jpg
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/boodlefish/FTS_5-19-101.jpg

drtrash
08/28/2010, 05:57 PM
All that can be achieved with 6 but if you are a beliver in more is better grab 8. Most of those tanks are predominantly SPS first one is a DIY unit not sure on output but second is an ATI PM ton o light. Not saying it won't work, just know what you want to put in tank. Some LPS are low light and some SPS are medium not all require surface of the sun. Get 8 and unplug 2.:p

JG1
08/28/2010, 06:20 PM
All that can be achieved with 6 but if you are a beliver in more is better grab 8. Most of those tanks are predominantly SPS first one is a DIY unit not sure on output but second is an ATI PM ton o light. Not saying it won't work, just know what you want to put in tank. Some LPS are low light and some SPS are medium not all require surface of the sun. Get 8 and unplug 2.:p

Yeah I hear ya. Tank will be 90% SPS.....this lighting this is giving me a headache...lol

I'm not sure if the fixture will work if only 6 are plugged in.

JG1
08/28/2010, 07:25 PM
Alright, I'm gonna go with a 6 bulb SunPower....I've decided.

On a 48x24x18 would you guys go with a 36" or 48" fixture?

The 48" really has an illuminated area of 45" long.

drtrash
08/28/2010, 08:06 PM
If its an ATI it will work

JG1
08/28/2010, 09:24 PM
If its an ATI it will work

what will work?

08/28/2010, 10:28 PM
90% sps then you might as well get the eight bulb full length fixture. Raise or lower and adjust photo period as required. This way no regrets. It is just hard to find shady spots with these fixtures. They light every nook and cranny.

mscarpena
08/29/2010, 07:27 AM
I would go with the 48". All of the LPS you listed do not need high light so make sure you acclimate them carefully and put them in some shade.

JR's Reef
08/29/2010, 08:28 AM
IMO you want a 8 bulb. I run a 6 bulb Sunpower and wish I would of done a 8 bulb I have mostly LPS with some SPS and they all could use a bit more light.

jc-reef
08/29/2010, 10:19 AM
90% sps then you might as well get the eight bulb full length fixture. Raise or lower and adjust photo period as required. This way no regrets. It is just hard to find shady spots with these fixtures. They light every nook and cranny.

+1 you can easily make downward adjustments (i.e., raising the fixture, using lower PAR bulbs, decreasing photo period, even pull out bulb or 2) with an 8 bulb set up....as with a 6 bulb set up you are at your limit. With the 8 bulb, you will have many more options and more room to play.

JG1
08/29/2010, 11:10 AM
I just placed the order w/ Miracles for the tank....I'm considering emailing Derek and telling him lets go 20" high instead of 18"......this light intensity issue is worrying me.

JG1
08/29/2010, 11:11 AM
+1 you can easily make downward adjustments (i.e., raising the fixture, using lower PAR bulbs, decreasing photo period, even pull out bulb or 2) with an 8 bulb set up....as with a 6 bulb set up you are at your limit. With the 8 bulb, you will have many more options and more room to play.

Can you take a bulb out and the fixture still work? I'm not sure if it needs all 8 bulbs to fire.

08/29/2010, 02:10 PM
It should have separate controls. Mine has 2 bulbs on one ballast/plug and 4 bulbs on another.

JG1
08/29/2010, 02:32 PM
It should have separate controls. Mine has 2 bulbs on one ballast/plug and 4 bulbs on another.

It does, but I don't know if you can run only 6 bulbs (on the 8 bulb ballast).