PDA

View Full Version : Sump Lagoon

Winwood
08/28/2010, 12:17 AM
Hi all! So I currently modified my sump on my main display to house a sort of sub-display if you will. Originally the first chamber of my sump was a deep sand bed around 9-10 inches and housed a few macros and sea grasses on top. I built this compartment as a means of nitrate reduction however I don't believe it was reducing nitrates at all. In fact, I believe it was actually acting as a large nutrient sink. Man did it stink when I yarded all that sand out.

Once the compartment was empty and clean, I added about a 4 inch layer of sand from my main display. I then removed my green haddoni from my display tank that I have had for about 2-3 months now and placed him on the sand bed in the sump. I was feeling nervous having my haddoni in the main display anyway as I have a number of cherished finny friends in there. I also added my little Goniopora which I figured would appreciate the weaker current down there.

I also have had a pair of GBR clowns in a very plain 20 gallon quarantine tank for about a month now and decided to allow them to call my new setup home. They really took right to the nem almost instantly. It was very cute!

Anyways I figured I'd share my little project and post some pics. The total volume of the compartment is only about 12 gallons, however as far as the anemone and clowns go, the setup is temporary. I am currently setting up a little 26 gallon bowfront tank decicated specifically to the three. I'm thinking a seahorse/pipefish display will probably replace them once they are removed but who knows. It's hard for me not to want to add more clowns!

Well here's some shots of it shortly after completion. The carpet looks a lot less green when it is not under 20k metal halides but oh well. Also I think the move stressed it out a bit as it began gaping a little but overall I think it is fine.

Mavrk
08/28/2010, 12:49 AM
Cool. What kind of lighting is in there?

Winwood
08/28/2010, 01:08 AM
Haha! Well It's 5 75 watt equivalent 5500K screw in pc's and one blue party light for actinic effect. All in all it works pretty well but kinda ghetto.

Mavrk
08/28/2010, 09:44 PM
Sounds like it will work for now.

Winwood
08/28/2010, 10:08 PM
Actually as far a critters go they seem to love it down there. I actually nursed a magnifica back to health before I got rid of it under those lights. When I got it originally I placed it under my MHs and it would do the whole shrink/reinflate thing. Then I got worried about it wandering and falling victim to a powerhead so I placed it in my sump on a flat rock under those lights. It loved it down there! It moved right into the current directly under the lights and continued to thrive for several months right up to the point when I traded it to a friend.

Ron Popeil
08/29/2010, 11:32 AM
not bad.

now...where is that mertens?