PDA

View Full Version : When to change purigen? How dark do you let purigen get?

samstersam
08/28/2010, 01:11 PM
I have a 40b tank with a 20gallon sump and have purigen in media bags rolling around a poly reactor.

I have been using purigen for about 1..5 months and it has gone from white to very light brown (light tan actually)

How dark do you guys let your purigen get? Doing a search I saw some people wait until their purgien turns a "coffee" color? Dark brown? Is it still too early for me to recharge my purigen?

Thanks a bunch.
Sam

tmz
08/28/2010, 02:00 PM
I don't think you can change it too early. Tan works for me.

mscarpena
08/28/2010, 02:33 PM
I have not seen much benefit at all from using purigen. I used it for a while and stopped.

tmz
08/28/2010, 02:52 PM
In my opinion, granulated activated carbon is a first reach for removing organics . Purigen is a resin that is thought to have an affinity for some organics that may not be attracted to gac. I use them both . Purigen clearly removes some organics even when rox 8 carbon is in use as evidenced by its change in color. Regeneration feature is a big plus.

samstersam
08/29/2010, 06:52 PM
In my opinion, granulated activated carbon is a first reach for removing organics . Purigen is a resin that is thought to have an affinity for some organics that may not be attracted to gac. I use them both . Purigen clearly removes some organics even when rox 8 carbon is in use as evidenced by its change in color. Regeneration feature is a big plus.

Fantastic.

However, my post is addressing the question of how dark you let your purigen get before recharge.

fishchef
08/29/2010, 08:42 PM
I use Purigen in my 125 mixed reef along with Poly-Filter. I haven't used carbon for 15 years. I allow it to become a dark brown which is about a month for us. Seachem says it can be regenerated 10x. I just replaced my units and I've done it more than that. I also use GFO which probably helps. There's no way to evaluate carbon life.

tmz
08/30/2010, 09:37 AM
Fantastic.

However, my post is addressing the question of how dark you let your purigen get before recharge. Yes and I answered that in my first post. The second one was in response to another poster .