PDA

View Full Version : significant risk of overdosing iron and potassium?

jeremy K
08/28/2010, 06:56 PM
About a month ago I started dosing iron (Kent's), potassium (Kent's), and potassium iodide fluoride (Zeovit). I am trying to improve SPS coloration in my tank, and have heard good things about dosing these. Thus far, I have seen zero effect (however, I suspect it may take more than just one month to take effect). My question is whether I run a significant risk of overdosing my tank with these chemicals, and whether doing so would lead to harm to my livestock. I do about 10% water changes every 2-3 weeks, and dose vodka. I also run ROX carbon in a phosban reactor and change it every 3-4 weeks.

bertoni
08/28/2010, 07:09 PM
I would test the test regularly for the iodine and potassium levels, if I were dosing. Iron tends to disappear very rapidly, so it'd be harder to overdose. How much is going into the system per day?

wickedfish
08/28/2010, 08:37 PM
Tagging along bump!

jeremy K
08/29/2010, 05:24 AM
Not sure of the concentrations, but I used 5 drops of KZ potassium iodide fluoride every 2 days, 1 capfull of Brightwell Potassion every 2 days, and 1 capful of Brightwell Ferrion every 2 days. It is a system with about 80g total water volume (90g DT plus 30g sump, less approximate rock volume = ~80g). I figure my carbon is probably removing some of what I add, and not sure if my skimmer is too.