PDA

View Full Version : Sump

pmcadams
08/29/2010, 08:28 AM
I'm planning on adding a separate refug, so I'm not interested in a refug/sump in one unit. I am also using an external GenX return pump. I was planning on using an aquarium for my sump, but tightening down the bulkhead for the return pump plumbing resulted in cracked glass, so I have decided not to use a glass sump. With all of this said... someone tell me why I shouldn't use this heavy duty plastic container ( with lid off ) as a sump rather than spend lots of money on acrylic ? I checked them out at HD and it's pretty heavy duty... and obviously much cheaper than the alternative.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgp/R-100672734/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

90greefman
08/29/2010, 08:39 AM
I use the same one for water changes or a temporary aquarium if I have to do a big project on my tank. Can't think of a reason not to use it as a fuge if I have used it for the aforementioned for extended periods.

LukeGI
08/29/2010, 08:39 AM
There doesn't appear to be anything obvious about that container that would keep it from working just fine.
At that price I would say to try it...fill with water and test the parameters after a week or two to make sure nothing is leeching out.

slumpysix
08/29/2010, 08:57 AM
with any plastic container like that one, they tend to bow in the middle. You may want to brace somehow with a strap of some sort around the middle. Or maybe one side will be against a wall and then you could run a brace across the other side.

Jason.Wright
09/18/2010, 08:35 PM
How did this work out?

If bracing is an issue, I would windows in the lid, but leave a strap across the middle. That should work.

Any way to put a bubble trap? Or is that really not necessary?

MMA
09/18/2010, 08:41 PM
I kept the lid on but cut large hole in the lid so it's basically a frame. Also used a bungee cord around. Have had no problems.

Jason.Wright
09/18/2010, 09:27 PM
No problems with "unsightly" bubbles?