PDA

View Full Version : What is the Reef Central Fish

Atom0023
08/29/2010, 12:22 PM
Ok, I am new here and I don't know the name of the fish that is next to the Reef Central text on the top left of the screen.

:fish1:

curlykid
08/29/2010, 12:22 PM
sohal tang

Atom0023
08/29/2010, 12:33 PM
sohal tang

Thank you.

I knew that it wasn't going to take long to get an answer. Just didn't think it would be less than a minute. :fun4:

MandM
08/29/2010, 02:05 PM
Welcome to RC! The Sohal is one of the prettiest reef fishes. The are also one of the largest and most aggressive. They require a very large tank.

Atom0023
05/29/2011, 12:08 AM
How big of a tank do you need for that Sohal tang?

Over 75 is my guess? 150?

Jstdv8
05/29/2011, 12:20 AM
Bigger the better. they get really large. minimum of a 6' tank, so no 75g

Atom0023
05/29/2011, 12:25 AM
Bigger the better. they get really large. minimum of a 6' tank, so no 75g

I am thinking about getting a corner unit. which is 36 sides 30 inch tall and 48 side to side.

The DT water volume is 125.

Am I still going to have problems with some Tangs? Online they have guidelines by DT volume not length. I guess I will have to ask her first.

Dino
05/29/2011, 05:17 AM
:) Team RC here just a few months ago put in a tremendous amount of work to compile some great information from a lot of different sources (and personal experiences from several folks) on tang/tanks size recommendations. You can read it here.

Recommended Tank Sizes for Tangs (Surgeonfishes) (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946007)

BlueFyre
05/29/2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks! I have wondered what kind of fish it was as well. Awesome looking Tang!

Lemeshianos
05/30/2011, 05:26 AM
one fish
two fish
three fish

roli112
05/30/2011, 10:43 AM
one fish
two fish
three fish

Red fish
Blue fish

lordofthereef
05/30/2011, 01:14 PM
I am thinking about getting a corner unit. which is 36 sides 30 inch tall and 48 side to side.

The DT water volume is 125.

Am I still going to have problems with some Tangs? Online they have guidelines by DT volume not length. I guess I will have to ask her first.

This is one of the reason, IMO, using volume as a rule of thumb isn't the best. IMHO, all tangs, when fully grown, will feel cramped in a tank with those dimensions. There are some slower growers that would do fine, if introduced as a juvenile, for years. Many don't recommend that approach either as a fish is pretty hard to catch amongst tons of rockwork - many just give up and leave an "overgrown" fish in the tank for good.

kingfisherflesh
05/30/2011, 01:21 PM
This is one of the reason, IMO, using volume as a rule of thumb isn't the best. IMHO, all tangs, when fully grown, will feel cramped in a tank with those dimensions. There are some slower growers that would do fine, if introduced as a juvenile, for years. Many don't recommend that approach either as a fish is pretty hard to catch amongst tons of rockwork - many just give up and leave an "overgrown" fish in the tank for good.

+1

The more tangs I keep, the bigger my tank gets, the bigger my tangs get, the more inadequate I realize it is.

This might sound snobby, but its not intended that way.

My 125g isnt big enough for the tangs I have now. Minimum 180g...when you start seeing these fish TRULY healthy, and growing as fast as they are supposed to (You almost never see this) you really can appreciate what it takes.

snorvich
05/30/2011, 01:23 PM
I am in agreement with both of the above two posts. Length is much more important for the tangs that are "swimmers".

thebkramer
05/30/2011, 01:25 PM

+2

The more tangs I keep, the bigger my tank gets, the bigger my tangs get, the more inadequate I realize it is.

This might sound snobby, but its not intended that way.

My 125g isnt big enough for the tangs I have now. Minimum 180g...when you start seeing these fish TRULY healthy, and growing as fast as they are supposed to (You almost never see this) you really can appreciate what it takes.

+1

do a youtube search on tangs.. you will NOT believe some of the tanks these poor tangs have to endure :sad1:

kingfisherflesh
05/30/2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks guys...the pristine water and feeding needs of these fish alone should discourage most.

Seeing a fully grown tang without any HLLE, parasites, fin deterioration, or scars from ich is very rare. I had a perfect 6" blue hippo until recently...a fish was sent to me without showing me the fish, letting me know I had purchased it, showing me the fish, or even giving me tracking info. Into the tank it went. Gave everything ich...and QT is very rarely kind to tangs. Im disappointed in myself more than anything.

Atom0023
05/31/2011, 12:56 AM
Okay that is all that I wanted to clarify. I also have seen some scary youtube videos of tangs.