PDA

View Full Version : stupid but easy question...lol reguarding water.

noobwithatank
08/29/2010, 01:01 PM
i know that when in a reef r/o water is required but when in a prop system that is skimmed heavily can one not use tap water? or would the corals start to "leach" out what was in there..

sterling18
08/29/2010, 02:23 PM
i know that when in a reef r/o water is required but when in a prop system that is skimmed heavily can one not use tap water? or would the corals start to "leach" out what was in there..

Some people use tap water because their local water doesn't have the high tds levels.

Depends on your water.

Keep in mind from days of long ago, people only had tap water for their tanks.

Hawkdl2
08/29/2010, 02:28 PM
You should use RO/DI water for all your tank systems. It's possible, but uncommon for tap water to be satisfactory. In addition to high TDS levels, many municipalities now use chloramine instead of chlorine in their water. Chloramine is worse than chlorine for fish and corals.

mike_cmu04
08/29/2010, 05:33 PM
always use rodi water if you use tap water you are going to have major algae problems and your corals will likely not do too well

CLINTOS
08/30/2010, 10:00 AM
I'm using tap water on my 29g and the tds is at 140 from the tap, no outbreak of cyno or hair algae

I dose 1/8th cap prime when topping off and 1/4 cap to my 5G weekly water change

I also use carbon and no refuge/sump/skimmer

CLINTOS
08/30/2010, 10:02 AM

o yeah I use to use the exact tap water as you because I lived in niagara falls ontario